How to add support for a new Z-Wave device

For Z-Wave related questions in Domoticz
przemhb
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version:

How to add support for a new Z-Wave device

Post by przemhb » Wednesday 10 October 2018 23:37

I'd like to add support for a new Z-Wave device.

I've followed the instructions:
https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave ... ng-Devices
I have added the device in /usr/share/domoticz/Config/manufacturer_specific.xml file and added a new xml file in manufacturer's folder.

Is this enough to make Domoticz recognize and handle the new device or do I have to compile and update my system's Open-Z-Wave library?

gizmocuz
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: beta

Re: How to add support for a new Z-Wave device

Post by gizmocuz » Thursday 11 October 2018 8:38

That should be enough, and you have to restart domoticz.
Is the change accepted by openzwave ? If yes, we could update the library so it will be available in the next beta
Quality outlives Quantity!

przemhb
Domoticz version:

Post by przemhb » Thursday 11 October 2018 10:05

I have restarted Domoticz before reattempt to include the device.
I have tested configuration files of the added device by make xmltest, but didn't push it to openzwave. First I wanted to make sure it actually works.

gizmocuz

Post by gizmocuz » Thursday 11 October 2018 10:06

Sure, so when you make changes, you need to exclude your node, and include it again (after you restart the openzwave hardware, you do not need to restart the whole domoticz process, just disable the ozw hardware and enable it again)

przemhb
Domoticz version:

Post by przemhb » Thursday 11 October 2018 10:16

As it is extremely hard to include the node I delete it i Domoticz and perform it's factory reset to re-include it. Is it OK?

What worries me is also the fact Domoticz shows Type and ID of SM103 instead of SM810, despite the fact the device, judging by the look must be SM810 (both the devices differ significantly).

gizmocuz

Post by gizmocuz » Thursday 11 October 2018 17:43

If the node was included before, you need to exclude it... just set the node in the 'mode' and exclude from the domoticz dropdown
Maybe the type is compatible ? This is what the node tells openzwave

przemhb
Domoticz version:

Post by przemhb » Thursday 11 October 2018 21:48

I am wondering if I should somehow get rid of the nodes 20-25? How? (Take a look at the screenshot attached).

Currently the device, door sensor, is included with Node ID 26. As I was struggling to make it respond again I have factory reset it a few times and re-included. Last time it worked it was given Node ID 20. Now it has assigned Node ID 26. I 've followed advice from an other thread and after Test&Heal from Control Panel it communicates again. Unfortunately still doesn't trigger when I open the door. I hope adding it to the 1 group will solve it.
Attachments
zwave-sensors.png
zwave-sensors.png (84.3 KiB) Viewed 261 times

gizmocuz

Post by gizmocuz » Sunday 14 October 2018 18:24

If you read the manual of the node, you might see a section about 'groups', there is a lifeline group (most times group 1, but not always!)
Make sure the controller (node 1) is in the lifeline (from the dropdown groups/network)

przemhb
Domoticz version:

Post by przemhb » Sunday 14 October 2018 19:21

Node 18, which stopped sending door open report two weeks ago, has controller added to it's Lifeline (1) group.
Yesterday I have set it's location using OZW Control Panel. It was set immediately and "last seen" date and time were update to this very moment.
I've repeated this today to see if "last seen" gets updated and it did. It seems it has sent tamper event report yesterday, but not when, I tampered it again today.

For a few days I am trying to remove controller from Node 18 group 2, and even 1, but the node does not change anything in it's groups. Similarly I all my repeated attempts to add controller to group 1 of node 26 failed. No idea why.

I am also wondering if there is a way to remove previous, now invalid, instances of node 26 - nodes 21 - 25?

przemhb
Domoticz version:

Post by przemhb » Monday 15 October 2018 20:16

I was looking for a zwcfg*.xml file in /usr/share/domoticz and it's subfolders, but there was no such a file.
OpenZWave manual for testing added device says (among others): "remove (or backup) any zwcfg_*.xml file and restart your application."
Which file I should remove in case of Domoticz?