Action in case of Raspberry PI failure

Topics (not sure which fora)
when not sure where to post, post here and mods will move it to right forum.
Hein73
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Action in case of Raspberry PI failure

Post by Hein73 » Sunday 09 September 2018 12:03

Hi,

new to this forum and not sure where to post this.

My main question is how to make sure all automated components (in particular switches) go to a fial safe state in case of Raspberry PI failure (for example corrupt SD card).

In my case because of particular construction issues with my Somfy blinds I have installed a hard switch which I use to block power to the blinds in case the door is not fully open or fully close. This is to prevent the door from damaging the blinds because during construction of our home extension the blinds were fixed to close to the door. Now when the door is halfway open I run the risk of the blinds jamming into the door when operated.

Now, suppose the Raspberry fails when the power to the blinds is blocked. I wont be able to operate them untill the PI comes back on.

Any suggestions? Thanks

kind regards,
Hein

Antori91
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version: 4.97&3.5

Re: Action in case of Raspberry PI failure

Post by Antori91 » Sunday 09 September 2018 12:11

In my environment, I've installed two Domocticz servers (cluster). If the main one fails, the Domoticz instance backup is assumed to deliver the service replacing the main server.

I've to say my Main server is Domoticz V3.5877 running in Synology platform. This main Domoticz instance (running of course 24/7) failed only one time in about two years.
Last edited by Antori91 on Sunday 09 September 2018 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Domoticz High Availability Cluster: Synology Dz V3.5877 (Main) - Raspberry Dz V4.97 (Backup) - Scripts Node.js
Alarm server: Raspberry - motionEye - iot_ALARM-SVR Node.js
Sensors/Actuators: ESP8266-Arduino
https://github.com/Antori91/Home_Automation

EddyG
Domoticz version: 4.9999

Post by EddyG » Sunday 09 September 2018 12:27

I use a UPS for 2 Raspberry's (Main and Slave) and for the blinds I have for doors and windows.
This way I always have a limited time for normal operation.
For SD-card failure I use industrial grade SD-cards, make sure that almost all write actions go to tmpfs (/var/log) and a USB-stick.
On the USB-stick is Domoticz running. And that USB-stick is mirrored to a NAS every hours.
Regards,
Eddy

Hein73
Domoticz version:

Post by Hein73 » Sunday 09 September 2018 15:10

Antori91 wrote:
Sunday 09 September 2018 12:11
In my environment, I've installed two Domocticz servers (cluster). If the main one fails, the Domoticz instance backup is assumed to deliver the service replacing the main server.

I've to say my Main server is Domoticz V3.5877 running in Synology platform. This main Domoticz instance (running of course 24/7) failed only one time in about two years.
Thanks for the reply. Isnt that supposed to mean you need two zwave sticks / two rfx modules?

regards,
Hein

Hein73
Domoticz version:

Post by Hein73 » Sunday 09 September 2018 15:11

EddyG wrote:
Sunday 09 September 2018 12:27
I use a UPS for 2 Raspberry's (Main and Slave) and for the blinds I have for doors and windows.
For SD-card failure I use industrial grade SD-cards, make sure that almost all write actions go to tmpfs (/var/log) and a USB-stick.
On the USB-stick is Domoticz running. And that USB-stick is mirrored to a NAS every hours.
Thanks for the reply. Isnt that supposed to mean you need two zwave sticks / two rfx modules?

Is there a topic on how to create this setup?

kind regards,

Hein

Antori91
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version: 4.97&3.5

Post by Antori91 » Sunday 09 September 2018 17:57

Hein73 wrote:
Sunday 09 September 2018 15:10
Antori91 wrote:
Sunday 09 September 2018 12:11

regards,
Hein

http://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=24088
Domoticz High Availability Cluster: Synology Dz V3.5877 (Main) - Raspberry Dz V4.97 (Backup) - Scripts Node.js
Alarm server: Raspberry - motionEye - iot_ALARM-SVR Node.js
Sensors/Actuators: ESP8266-Arduino
https://github.com/Antori91/Home_Automation

EddyG
Domoticz version: 4.9999

Post by EddyG » Sunday 09 September 2018 21:50

Hein73 wrote:
Sunday 09 September 2018 15:11
EddyG wrote:
Sunday 09 September 2018 12:27

Is there a topic on how to create this setup?

kind regards,

Hein
My slave has just e few (not important) devices and can be used in case the master hardware fails.
Installation is close to the same on both so switching is easy.
The most important part is: use an industrial SD-card and write mostly to tmpfs.
This way your SD-card will survive for many years.
I use an 16 Gb industrial SD-card from Sandisk which can be bought at amazon.de
Regards,
Eddy