Zero values in devices - 1st check device IP connection before polling?

Use this forum to discuss possible implementation of a new feature before opening a ticket.
A developer shall edit the topic title with "[xxx]" where xxx is the id of the accompanying tracker id.
Duplicate posts about the same id. +1 posts are not allowed.
domoticzcom1234
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Stable

Zero values in devices - 1st check device IP connection before polling?

Post by domoticzcom1234 » Monday 03 September 2018 19:22

Problem
I sometimes see a lot of zero values in my devices log such for my Intergas temperature device.
I know this is because my network router sometimes failes. I have A-grade hardware but. When this happens I manually need to remove all ZERO values from the domoticz device log database. Think of Temperature logs, pressure logs, heating logs and more. For my own bash scripts I wrote a piece of simple code to prevent this. But for the hardware devices included in Domoticz I don't know how to solve this. I also do not want to edit the code of domoticz. For example the Intergas RF module....

Question:
Would it be possible to always check the network connection if the (external) IP device is available, and so before getting a device value from it?

This way many Domoticz users can prevent filling up their device log with (tens/hundreds) of ZERO values when facing a network issue.

ben53252642
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Beta

Re: Zero values in devices - 1st check device IP connection before polling?

Post by ben53252642 » Monday 03 September 2018 19:48

If and only if through testing you are certain of which Domoticz hardware module is causing this problem (and it is built directly into Domoticz) I suggest filing a bug on Github.

https://github.com/domoticz/domoticz/issues

Personally I've never seen this problem with a core Domoticz plugin, only when I have sent incorrect data to Domoticz via JSON or MQTT.

domoticzcom1234
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Stable

Post by domoticzcom1234 » Monday 03 September 2018 20:05

Okay, In my example I named a network failure is causing this. For example in combination with the Intergas (InComfort LAN2RF Gateway) domoticz hardware plugin. Thank you for your guidance!

ben53252642
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by ben53252642 » Monday 03 September 2018 20:55

No correctly functioning plugin should cause problems by outputting null data (eg due to a network fault), there should be protections to guard against that built into the plugin.