domoticz gone "offline" after 1.5 year

Please use template to report bugs and problems. Post here your questions when not sure where else to post
Only for bugs in the Domoticz application! other problems go in different subforums!
Forum rules
Before posting here, make sure you are on the latest Beta or Stable version.
If you have problems related to the web gui, clear your browser cache + appcache first.

Use the following template when posting here:

Version: xxxx
Platform: xxxx
Plugin/Hardware: xxxx
Description:

If you are having problems with scripts/blockly, always post the script (in a spoiler or code tag) or screenshots of your blockly

If you are replying, please do not quote images/code from the first post

Please mark your topic as Solved when the problem is solved.
EdddieN
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 4.9700

Re: domoticz gone "offline" after 1.5 year

Post by EdddieN » Friday 07 September 2018 14:23

If you have a part number I can deal with them. I do through my work very often.

Just give me a part number and I’ll do my best :)
11101101 - www.machinon.com

claude2666
Domoticz version:

Post by claude2666 » Sunday 16 September 2018 12:34

poudenes wrote:
Friday 07 September 2018 11:44
Hi All,

After reading this i changed my SDcard for a SSD. And im so happy that it worked like a charm. Here steps what i did:

How does the speed with SSD via USB compare to an SDcard?

poudenes
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: 3.8993

Post by poudenes » Sunday 16 September 2018 12:39

claude2666 wrote:
Sunday 16 September 2018 12:34
I'm not check it with tools to see the speed. But i can see the difference in speed. Loading WebUI, clicking devices, tabs are faster.
Update on RPi faster as well (apt-get update etc)

I have ordered now these modules:

Vaseky Mini mSATA 3 1.8 Inch SSD 32GB
X850 mSATA SSD USB 3.0 Expansion Board voor de Raspberry Pi

So i can put it all together without cables. And easier to create a image of a 32GB SSD instead of 128GB now :)
RPi3 with OSMC - RPi3 with Domoticz - Dashticz - MiLight - Nanolead Aurora - KaKu - Logitech Hamony - Nest - RFLink

claude2666
Domoticz version:

Post by claude2666 » Sunday 16 September 2018 13:04

Thanks for the information. I am also planning to move to an SSD in the near future. Perhaps with the next stable release. My first Domoticz sdcard died after about 16 months (Kingston 32 GB) and now my Sandisk Ultra has 14 months. I did update /etc/rsyslog adding some filters to reduce logging in /var/log which I hope will extend the life of the sdcard a bit.

Indeed, the X850 mSATA looks very nice, I am just wondering if it can be combined with my Razberry 2 card.

lost
Domoticz version:

Post by lost » Sunday 16 September 2018 14:31

claude2666 wrote:
Almost no benefit to expect considering USB 2 bandwith... But more IO per second, especially vs a very bad USB device (like all those that targets cam/photo devices that only write sequetially 1 file at a time).

But no benefit vs a good SD. Just something bulky.

ben53252642
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by ben53252642 » Sunday 16 September 2018 14:59

lost wrote:
Sunday 16 September 2018 14:31
claude2666 wrote:
This could not possibly be more wrong, the reason an SSD is superior is the write endurance.

SD cards (even the expensive top models) all have very, very limited write endurance when compared with an actual quality SSD eg Samsung 870 EVO.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/m ... er/970evo/

Warranty "MZ-V7E500BW (500 GB) 5 Years or 300 TBW"

That's covered for up to 300 Terrabytes written or 5 years.

Look at the warranty on the smaller size drives, eg the 250gb model has 150TBW or 5 years.

A tiny 16 or 32gb top model SSD doesn't even come remotely close.

Domoticz is essentially a Database server that writes data to disk all day long, the biggest single thing you should shop on is endurance of the storage second to that is CPU (Ideally Xeon) and Memory (specifically ECC memory) since that will further guard against corruption of the database caused by memory errors.

That said I think an i3 Intel NUC with a Samsung 850, 860 or 870 SSD and 4gb RAM is a pretty good cost / performance for most users even with relatively big setups using lots of plugins.

The benefit of a NUC / x86 based system is you can easily use the BTRFS file system which is not included in Raspberry by default and can be difficult to move to using a Raspberry.

BTRFS has checksums to detect disk corruption:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs#Features

Setting the BTRFS option to compress the file system can also increase the life expectancy of an SSD since less data actually get's written / read to / from the physical disk.

Hopefully I have covered everything here. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ben53252642 on Sunday 16 September 2018 18:23, edited 3 times in total.

poudenes

Post by poudenes » Sunday 16 September 2018 15:31

lost wrote:
claude2666 wrote:
Almost no benefit to expect considering USB 2 bandwith... But more IO per second, especially vs a very bad USB device (like all those that targets cam/photo devices that only write sequetially 1 file at a time).

Have a RPi 3 b+ so usb3.0

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
RPi3 with OSMC - RPi3 with Domoticz - Dashticz - MiLight - Nanolead Aurora - KaKu - Logitech Hamony - Nest - RFLink

HansieNL
Domoticz version:

Post by HansieNL » Sunday 16 September 2018 17:05

poudenes wrote:
Sunday 16 September 2018 12:39
And easier to create a image of a 32GB SSD instead of 128GB now :)
You can easy resize the partitions with gparted (linux). I use a 32GB mSATA disk and create an image of 8GB. After zipping it's even only 800MB in size.
Blah blah blah

waaren

Post by waaren » Sunday 16 September 2018 20:05

I am kind of surprised that Berryboot is not mentioned yet.
I run my domoticz production, test and development/ sandbox systems on Raspberry Pi's connected to my Synology NAS using Berryboot.
Excellent performance, no writes to SD card at all and the option to take snapshots allowing me to go back to alllmost any relevant point in time when I mess things up too much.
Ofcourse I also use my NAS for lots of other stuff so I did not have to invest on it only for domoticz.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

Raspberry (debian stretch via berryboot on Synology DS916+) , Domoticz (almost) latest Beta, , dzVents 2.6, RFLink, RFXtrx433e, P1, Youless, Harmony, Hue, Yeelight, Xiaomi, HomeWizard, Zwave, Amazon echo

EdddieN
Domoticz version: 4.9700

Post by EdddieN » Sunday 16 September 2018 22:02

Qnap, Sinology? What do you use for the snapshots?
11101101 - www.machinon.com

waaren

Post by waaren » Monday 17 September 2018 0:01

EdddieN wrote:Qnap, Sinology? What do you use for the snapshots?
Synology snapshot for iSCSI Lun (I use BTRFS filesystem)

Raspberry (debian stretch via berryboot on Synology DS916+) , Domoticz (almost) latest Beta, , dzVents 2.6, RFLink, RFXtrx433e, P1, Youless, Harmony, Hue, Yeelight, Xiaomi, HomeWizard, Zwave, Amazon echo

lost
Domoticz version:

Post by lost » Monday 17 September 2018 8:44

ben53252642 wrote:
Sunday 16 September 2018 14:59
Warranty "MZ-V7E500BW (500 GB) 5 Years or 300 TBW"
(...)
BTRFS has checksums to detect disk corruption
If you look at write endurance vs capacity, that's only writing about 600x the full media capacity. That's not what I call good raw figures. You get some endurance just because of device size & a wear levelling mode (static) tuned for internal storage (so always powered & so able to handle some background task).

Selecting a uSD with just the latest for a PI use case would be enough.

As well, storage devices handle some ECC internally and are able to detect all errors & even correct some. So having this at file-system level added protection is just in case you get some corruption "on the wire" between the SoC and the storage. The kind of errors that'll be noticed otherwise: If you have errors there on data payload, you'll likely have some on the SCSI command side that'll trigger controller reset on one side or another & media disconnect!

So, who's wrong?!
Last edited by lost on Monday 17 September 2018 9:00, edited 3 times in total.

lost
Domoticz version:

Re: domoticz gone

Post by lost » Monday 17 September 2018 8:58

poudenes wrote:
Sunday 16 September 2018 15:31
Have a RPi 3 b+ so usb3.0
That must be an undocummented feature of 3B+ to have USB3 intead of USB2.
Even "GB" ethernet is limited to 300MB because of USB2.

As well, in Linux having a SATA SSD on a native SATA interface does not offer the same feature set compared to one using a USB/SATA bridge. Usb-storage subsystem is quite simplified compared to a full SATA/SCSI stack.

poudenes

Post by poudenes » Monday 17 September 2018 11:05

lost wrote:
That must be an undocummented feature of 3B+ to have USB3 intead of USB2.
Even "GB" ethernet is limited to 300MB because of USB2.

As well, in Linux having a SATA SSD on a native SATA interface does not offer the same feature set compared to one using a USB/SATA bridge. Usb-storage subsystem is quite simplified compared to a full SATA/SCSI stack.
Basic I see a bit difference using ssd. Main reason ssd can handle lot of read write actions. Sdcard is not build for it. So that's good. No crash because of a failed sdcard anymore :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

poudenes

Post by poudenes » Monday 17 September 2018 11:22

waaren wrote:
Sunday 16 September 2018 20:05
I run my domoticz production, test and development/ sandbox systems on Raspberry Pi's connected to my Synology NAS using Berryboot.
Excellent performance, no writes to SD card at all and the option to take snapshots allowing me to go back to alllmost any relevant point in time when I mess things up too much.
Ofcourse I also use my NAS for lots of other stuff so I did not have to invest on it only for domoticz.

Sounds nice... but i have no screen, keyboard connected. Place my Pi in the "meterkast" and do everything using ssh.

waaren

Post by waaren » Monday 17 September 2018 13:52

poudenes wrote:
Monday 17 September 2018 11:22
waaren wrote:
Sunday 16 September 2018 20:05

Sounds nice... but i have no screen, keyboard connected. Place my Pi in the "meterkast" and do everything using ssh.
Fysical connected keybord / screen is only needed once for about 30 minutes to do initial setup and load OS. After that ssh and http connection is what you use for domoticz and other stuff.