Smart Meter

corederoma82
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Smart Meter

Post by corederoma82 » Tuesday 21 August 2018 16:48

Hi,
I'm sorry but I have read many posts but I don't find informations about this; can you say me a good and economic smart meter device compatible with domoticz?

Thanks
Raspberry PI 3, 3x Yeelight bulbs, 1x Yeeligh led strip, 1x Sonoff with ESP826

gordonb3
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Custom

Re: Smart Meter

Post by gordonb3 » Tuesday 21 August 2018 17:42

They all are. I guess that won't help you with your confusion though.

Smart meters are not actually smarter than other digital meters. What defines them as smart is that they communicate with the grid operator's system, feeding him your usage data. Smart meters thus are installed by the grid operator or whichever company is assigned to be responsible for metering your usage. I am not aware of these devices being sold on the private market for personal use.

There are however digital meters that do not have this communication capability but do allow to be read using the same standardized format. There's a picture of one of them in this wiki page and it is quite possible these may be available for purchase by individuals. You should note however that these meters usually do not have the plugin serial port and you'll require a (more expensive) special optical device to read them.

corederoma82
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Post by corederoma82 » Wednesday 22 August 2018 10:12

Thanks for the answer; but it's possible install it inside the home?
Raspberry PI 3, 3x Yeelight bulbs, 1x Yeeligh led strip, 1x Sonoff with ESP826

gordonb3
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Custom

Post by gordonb3 » Wednesday 22 August 2018 13:16

I started writing `yes`, but I fear that may depend on your geographical location. The smart meter communication data format is an EU standard and I would not expect this to be inside meters for other markets. The difficulty in this being that you cannot buy one in the EU and install it in the USA because the net frequency is different (50Hz versus 60Hz). Of course if you are inside the EU, all you have to do is call your energy supplier and ask him to replace your current analogue meter.