Blockly inadequacies - why?

Andyf66
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Blockly inadequacies - why?

Post by Andyf66 » Saturday 21 July 2018 13:39

Hi,

I’m just looking for some background information on Blockly and it’s current state. I was wondering why all the flow issues (if/then/else/nested if etc) exist, when I appears that the standard release of blockly does not have these problems?

- Some horrible political decisions from the past that we don’t discuss?
- Lack of time or willpower to implement fully?
- Some technical issue that prevents it working?
- Design decision that it wasn’t important?
- Some other reason?

It seems these flow problems constantly trip up new users,and also massively over complicate what should be simple scripts. Blockly is probably the first entry point for many people and I can see them being discouraged if their scripts just don’t appear to follow the logic.

I have some spare time on my hands and wondered if there was any desire to get it fixed up? I’m not familiar with JS but after 35 years of coding could probably turn my hand to it. Also, if there’s any real reason for me to run away and not touch it please let me know!

Andy.

cogliostrio
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version:

Re: Blockly inadequacies - why?

Post by cogliostrio » Saturday 21 July 2018 15:15

There has been several discussions about this, and I believe this is just how it was implemented. As to why it hasn't been fixed or upgraded, is because there just hasn't been anyone with the right set of skills and motivation to do so (ref Math Libraries for Blockly #1957 and Make blockly Else if to an actual else if).

if you are that person, I think it would be greatly appreciated.

Andyf66
Domoticz version:

Post by Andyf66 » Saturday 21 July 2018 15:39

Thanks for that. I’ll have a read around and look at what work has been done already.

Andyf66
Domoticz version:

Post by Andyf66 » Saturday 21 July 2018 22:03

Before I jump into this too deeply, can anybody tell me what is the simplest dev environment to set up, to build Domoticz?

I have access it Mac, Windows, Pi, and pretty much anything else running under Parallels as a VM.

Thanks.

cogliostrio
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version:

Post by cogliostrio » Friday 17 August 2018 22:53

Any luck digging into this?

blauwebuis
Domoticz version: current

Post by blauwebuis » Saturday 18 August 2018 15:51

As a side note, the Aurora theme has blocky import and export functionality. It turns the blockly code into a long text code. Perhaps that can be integrated as well?

The idea is that people can more easily share these codes for common automations. Ideally, a page on the Domoticz website could allow people to scroll through these, allow them to vote. Kind of like IFTTT recipes.

(the current implementation already makes it really easy to replace missing parts of the blockly scripts with your own devices)