LightwaveRF Relay not behaving as expected in Domoticz

leecollings
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

LightwaveRF Relay not behaving as expected in Domoticz

Post by leecollings » Saturday 14 July 2018 23:50

For years I’ve noticed that my LightwaveRF Relay LW821 has behaved very strangely within Domoticz, behaving as such:

The relay is setup in Domoticz as an On/Off switch.

When switching the relay ‘On’, a single click is heard and the device is turned on.

When switching the relay ‘Off’, the Relay clicks twice and the device turns off.

When switching the relay on again, there is no response. As if the relay has no power to it, however it does.

This is the state that remains until the mains power to the relay is cut and restored.

However, I finally managed to come up with a fix that seems to be reliable by changing the switch in Domoticz from an On/Off to a Open/Stop/Close.

Now, each of the switch actions (Open/Stop/Close) makes the Relay click only once, and seems to reliably turn on and off the device connected.

It’s just strange that it doesn’t work as an On/Off switch.

Just wondering if any one else is having the same issue with the LW821 in Domoticz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markk
Domoticz version:

Re: LightwaveRF Relay not behaving as expected in Domoticz

Post by markk » Sunday 15 July 2018 0:03

I think this relay can be wired one of two ways
1. As an on/off switch
2. As a switch between two circuits.

Have you definitely got it wired as an on/off switch.

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com ... 359333.pdf
Running Domoticz on Pi3 with RFXtrx433e. LWRF power sockets and dimmer switches. Integrated my existing wirefree alarm PIRs and door contacts with domoticz. Geofencing with Pilot. Harmony Hub. Tado for Heating. Now playing with mysensors.

leecollings
Domoticz version:

Post by leecollings » Sunday 15 July 2018 0:30

I don’t have the photo I took of the relay in place when I installed it to hand at the moment, but yeah I hooked it up with the jumper from the live in to the common.

I always thought it was the relay that was faulty and turning itself off, but now it seems to work as an On/stop/Off there must have been something wrong with the signal being sent to the relay.

This is why I’m thinking it’s something to do with Domoticz possibly, or the RF signal being sent to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leecollings
Domoticz version:

Post by leecollings » Wednesday 01 August 2018 13:05

Found the photo of when I installed the relay. I'm pretty sure it's wired up correctly as the manual explains to switch a mains power supply on or off.

Behaviour is still the same by the way. When the relay is turned 'Off' in the LW app, it cuts out and won't turn back on unless I cycle the power to the relay.

However, when sending 'Open and Stop' commands, the sockets are turned on and off.
Attachments
LW821.jpg
LW821.jpg (122.8 KiB) Viewed 319 times

alanlsmith
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: 4.9701

Post by alanlsmith » Wednesday 01 August 2018 14:26

This is no help I know but I use a few of these and have them all as On/Off in Domoticz and they work fine.
One is used as to switch between 2 circuits, another is switching zero volts, the others are wired in the same way as your image shows.
Domoticz v4.9701 beta, Ubuntu 18.04 on Intel NUC i3, 8Gb ram, 70Gb drive, RFXtrx433, z-wave and a bit of Broadlink/Android

Bigted
Domoticz version:

Post by Bigted » Wednesday 01 August 2018 14:43

Is this a recent purchase? I found the same issue on a recently purchased one, yet older ones work with On/Off.
I ended up with the same solution as you