Can you use MQTT in dzVents?

Easy to use, 100% Lua-based event scripting framework.
Timmiej93
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Can you use MQTT in dzVents?

Post by Timmiej93 » Tuesday 10 July 2018 21:32

Basically, the title sums it all up: Is it possible to use MQTT in any form in dzVents?

SweetPants
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: V4.10213

Re: Can you use MQTT in dzVents?

Post by SweetPants » Wednesday 11 July 2018 5:50

depends on what you want to achieve. the question is rather generic. an event can be triggered through mqtt on domoticz/in and if you switch a light in dzventz. it generates a mqtt message on domoticz/out
Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS, Intel NUC, MySensors 2.3.0-alpha, Pro Mini 3.3/8M RFM69(HW), ESP8266 (SDK2.2.0), Sonoff, RFLink, RFXcom, MQTT, NodeRed, Domoticz Beta (from source)

Timmiej93
Domoticz version:

Post by Timmiej93 » Wednesday 11 July 2018 10:23

Yeah, I put down a broad question at first, because I couldn't find anything about MQTT in dzVents at all, so I was expecting it not to work at all.

I'd like to trigger events through incoming messages, preferably with custom topics of course, and I'd like to send out messages, also preferably with custom topics. I must say that I can't find anything about triggering an event through mqtt on the dzVents wiki page, am I missing something obvious?

emme
Domoticz version: latest

Post by emme » Wednesday 11 July 2018 11:20

MQTT reflects all Domoticz Events... so basically everything you get in the log is almost replicated as MQTT telegram
if you want to trigger a script from outside, have MQTT do something in domoticz... change a variable, toggle a virtual switch or whatever

I've asked also to implement the .topic, but as an external message (from dz to MQTT) to better identify the area of the message (switch, consumption, dimmer etc etc), as a device characteristic.... Will not really understand how to use it as an incoming message :P

ciao
M
The most dangerous phrase in any language is:
"We always done this way"