New Python plugin for Logitech Harmony

Python and python framework
gorstj
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Re: New Python plugin for Logitech Harmony

Post by gorstj » Friday 27 April 2018 18:55

The BWS-HA-Bridge (https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge) is made by the same developer as the restful-harmony daemon and includes an API for accessing/controlling the Harmony devices.

Would it not make more sense to rely on the HA-Bridge for this plugin rather than the ancient restful-harmony api?

I already run ha-bridge and don't want to run yet another daemon!

EscApe
Domoticz version: v3+beta

Post by EscApe » Saturday 28 April 2018 16:14

You're absolutely right. At the time i wrote this plugin i was running ha-bridge and switched to restful-harmony (by the same author) because i red it was not possible to control the harmony through the ha bridge api. Now i see the instructions on GitHub. I don't know if i misread something last year or if this is a feature that was introduced after i wrote the plugin.

Rewriting the plugin is nog a priority for me now the domoticz harmony integration is being actively developed again (thanks to gordonb3!). For me the plugin was a work-around for the unstable (standard) integration. I'm glad gordon3b is working hard to fix that, since the python framework comes with it's own (beta) challenges.

Correction on the statement above: Thinking back it was not that ha bridge didn't offer the needed api. It was because ha bridge offered no api for individual keypresses on the harmony. Since i was using this method for the domoticz plugin AND for a home-brew webhook server (for ifttt) i did not want to run two separate but very similar services. HA bridge probably was and is a viable/better solution for the plugin. Rewriting it is still not a priority though ;-)
Gorbdonb3 seems to have fixed the 'official' integration. It's running great on my setup :D .
Last edited by EscApe on Sunday 29 April 2018 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

gordonb3
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Custom

Post by gordonb3 » Saturday 28 April 2018 21:59

May like to know that I'm currently also maintaining the originating code HarmonyHubControl that allows controlling both activities and individual devices.

mvzut
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by mvzut » Tuesday 04 December 2018 16:08

EscApe wrote:
Saturday 28 April 2018 16:14
Gorbdonb3 seems to have fixed the 'official' integration. It's running great on my setup :D .
I installed your plugin today since the "official" integration of the Harmony Hub gives connection errors multiple times a day. Runs fine so far!

Nevertheless, since both the restful-harmony api and your plugin are not actively maintained anymore, I would prefer it if the built-in support worked more stable. EscApe, you mentioned you don't experience the error messages anymore since you have a new router? I have the same router, but still I have regular connection error messages.
Gordonb3, is it perhaps an option to make the integrated Harmony plugin a bit more "forgiving"? I would prefer that it simply reconnects in the background, and only gives a real error message when the connection cannot be restored after a number of tries.
Raspberry Pi 3 - RFXtrx433 - Aeon Z-Stick gen5 - Opentherm Gateway - P1 smart meter - Netatmo - Philips Hue - ELV Max! - ESP8266 DIY water meter - Xiaomi Gateway - Sonos - IP cameras - Wall mounted tablet + Imperihome - Alexa - MANY switches/sensors

EscApe
Domoticz version: v3+beta

Post by EscApe » Tuesday 04 December 2018 22:49

I think the build in support is still working quite well. There is a limit to how forgiving it can be. I also have been getting more errors than usual the past week. A while back it would fail completely. In that case the Logitech servers where the problem and I suspect the Logitech servers might also be the cause this time.

mvzut
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by mvzut » Tuesday 04 December 2018 23:44

EscApe wrote:I think the build in support is still working quite well. There is a limit to how forgiving it can be. I also have been getting more errors than usual the past week. A while back it would fail completely. In that case the Logitech servers where the problem and I suspect the Logitech servers might also be the cause this time.
You might be right. The restful-harmony API in combination with your plugin turned out to give approximately the same amount of messages. The remote itself is also a bit unresponsive at times since a week or so.
Raspberry Pi 3 - RFXtrx433 - Aeon Z-Stick gen5 - Opentherm Gateway - P1 smart meter - Netatmo - Philips Hue - ELV Max! - ESP8266 DIY water meter - Xiaomi Gateway - Sonos - IP cameras - Wall mounted tablet + Imperihome - Alexa - MANY switches/sensors