Moving to OpenHAB to get Google Home support for free?

Alexa, Google Home and Siri
Ankan
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version:

Moving to OpenHAB to get Google Home support for free?

Post by Ankan » Sunday 21 October 2018 12:10

My Domoticz installation running great but I would like to get Google Home support without paying for that service like with Controlicz and also without exposing my installation to internet.
I have tried to use IFTTT but it doesn't have support for the Swedish language which I prefer.

It looks like OpenHAB would give me that Google Home support for free with myopenhab.org but can I do all the things I do with Domoticz on OpenHAB?
Now I have a RFLink connected to my server to control all my 433 Mhz devicez like lamps, temperature sensors and so on. I have integrated Life 360, Gigaset Elements and some network cameras. I have also some simple Blocky scripts.

I was also looking at Home Assistant but it looks like I only get Google Home support by using Home Assistant Cloud service which cost $5/month.

Best of all would be if there where support for Google Home in Domoticz by adding support to mydomoticz.org but I guess we are not there get?

hoeby
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: V4.9700

Re: Moving to OpenHAB to get Google Home support for free?

Post by hoeby » Tuesday 23 October 2018 16:59

emme
Domoticz version: latest

Post by emme » Tuesday 23 October 2018 17:31

Ankan wrote:
Sunday 21 October 2018 12:10
I would like to get Google Home support without paying for that service like with Controlicz and also without exposing my installation to internet.
with ANY external/cloud service, you actually DO THAT

Voice systems are NOT processed locally by the device, but on the service provider backend, for which the home device act as a proxy.

This means that ANY command you teach to the voice system, linked to a local server IP, with a user and a password, where linking to a specific ID and an action, are moved to the cloud and turns back to the device.

Well, there is an implicit privacy statement by which the service providers say ( :roll: ) they cannot/won't use them.... but you actually expose your configuration to external players.... probably in a worst way than expose a port to the internet
The most dangerous phrase in any language is:
"We always done this way"

emme
Domoticz version: latest

Post by emme » Tuesday 23 October 2018 17:40

btw... not sure for Google, but for Alexa it seems it does exist a local way to do not use the cloud

https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red- ... lexa-local
The most dangerous phrase in any language is:
"We always done this way"

Ankan
Domoticz version:

Post by Ankan » Tuesday 23 October 2018 18:41

emme wrote:
Tuesday 23 October 2018 17:40
btw... not sure for Google, but for Alexa it seems it does exist a local way to do not use the cloud

https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-red- ... lexa-local
There was a local way but they removed it sadly.

I guess you have to expose your devices in one way or another if you want to use Google Home. I would prefer not to, but it's very nice to be able to control lights and get device info by voice.

Ankan
Domoticz version:

Post by Ankan » Tuesday 23 October 2018 18:55

hoeby wrote:
Tuesday 23 October 2018 16:59
See this thread
http://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic ... 69&t=25344
I prefer to use my Google Home as I already have one and I guess it's much better to ignore noise and only pickup voice. Thanks anyway, I read that thread before I started mine.

Ankan
Domoticz version:

Post by Ankan » Tuesday 23 October 2018 18:59

I can get voice control working on Domoticz via IFTTT and Pushbullet where I parse spoken words on my server, but I can't give any feedback on my Google Home which is little pity.

With OpenHAB I guess the control would be better as myopenhab plugin is already added to Google Assistant as a smart home device/gateway.

I got an idea, and maybe someone here knows if it's possible and how to set it up.
Can I get my Domoticz to sync all my devices to a local MQTT gateway and then let a local OpenHAB server sync with same MQTT server?
In that case I can sync my OpenHAB with myopenhab.org and setup Google Assistant to access myopenhab.

But in the end, best of all would be if Google Home had a local API where you can get spoken words i clear text and you can do whatever you want with it.

hoeby
Domoticz version: V4.9700

Post by hoeby » Tuesday 23 October 2018 20:20

Ankan wrote:
Tuesday 23 October 2018 18:55
I prefer to use my Google Home as I already have one and I guess it's much better to ignore noise and only pickup voice.
This i don't understand :?:
You want something that doesn't send your installation over the internet.
But you already have a google home. Like Emme said, google home send info over the internet. Your google home already does that, what is the difference your are looking for?

Ankan
Domoticz version:

Post by Ankan » Tuesday 23 October 2018 20:51

I want to control my devices with my Google home like domoticz connected to controlicz but for free.