Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration Topic is solved

Alexa, Google Home and Siri
JonyBCN
Posts: 12
Joined: Tuesday 24 May 2016 22:39
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by JonyBCN » Monday 16 July 2018 20:59

If the developer has decided that his work deserves it, I see no problem in converting it into a payment service. Work must always be rewarded, and it is the developer who must decide how and how much. And over time you can adjust the margins.
I live in Spain and last month Google started selling Google Home here. Since then I have been testing the service and I see it as reliable and robust. There would be no problem in a monthly payment (although a discount for annual payment would be perfect).
 That if, from the moment you charge, the service becomes professional and then it should be more complete. For example, in Spanish, things like "turn on" and "turn off" lights work perfectly. But commands like "adjust the intensity of the light" or "open or close the blinds" do not work.

 On the Controlicz website I see that the system detects them as blinds, so I do not think that is the problem. I assume it's something related to the language.
 On the other hand, dimmable lights detect them as normal switches. Those details, in a free service are assumed and you work with the developer to solve them. In a professional service they are expected to work.

Madgeni
Posts: 1354
Joined: Friday 25 March 2016 18:43
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by Madgeni » Monday 16 July 2018 21:10

I can't control the language - so open/close don't work in any language, i'm at the mercy of Google and Alexa i'm afraid.
Re: dimming lights being detected as switches, that's all on me. Mail me from your Controlicz profile and i'll fix it. A gentle reminder that Domoticz hardware support doesn't have any strict developer controls, so lights/switches have a very flexible approach to type/subtype/switchtype, and sometimes it needs me to work out how to handle all the myriad of hardware types.

I have had some really unpleasant emails from some of my users today, i've been accused of extortion, among other things. Whilst I understand you've had a service for free for quite some time, the fact that you attribute zero perceived value to it, and can feel free to attack me tells me more about some of you, than it does about me.
Native Alexa skill and Google app - register at https://www.controlicz.com - https://twitter.com/Controlicz

User avatar
bueno79
Posts: 96
Joined: Wednesday 08 March 2017 11:26
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 4.9700
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by bueno79 » Monday 16 July 2018 21:19

yes you have to follow google and alexa integration but when I see it is still not possible to control custon selector, temperature sensor are see as a radiator head ("sensor is off and tempis..."...uh???), any switch or module ON/OFF are see as a light (so when you ask : open the garage, you have the answer : OK, I switch on the light garage...

for me this service (controliz) is based on a BETA solution !!! Hard to ask a such price for the moment maybe. And yes of course if people pay, expectations will be higher...you have to be ready :?

User avatar
bueno79
Posts: 96
Joined: Wednesday 08 March 2017 11:26
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 4.9700
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by bueno79 » Monday 16 July 2018 21:21

Madgeni wrote:
Monday 16 July 2018 21:10
I have had some really unpleasant emails from some of my users today, i've been accused of extortion, among other things. Whilst I understand you've had a service for free for quite some time, the fact that you attribute zero perceived value to it, and can feel free to attack me tells me more about some of you, than it does about me.
really sad to read this. We can discuss, approve or not; however we will respect your final solution and will pay or not the service.

User avatar
felix63
Posts: 166
Joined: Monday 07 December 2015 10:30
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 3.8275
Location: Gouda
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by felix63 » Monday 16 July 2018 21:28

I myself am not a great fan of subscription services. However if someone is providing an operational service depended on the 24/7 availability of servers charging a fee for that service and getting some compensation for the effort in developing a great piece of software and supporting often ignorant and impolite users then that is no more then reasonable. I myself am more than willing to pay 24 euros a year for such a service!

Jurik
Posts: 13
Joined: Saturday 27 June 2015 2:05
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: latest
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by Jurik » Monday 16 July 2018 21:35

Controlicz has never been open-source. It has been closed source from day 1. I understand your annoyance at me, but keep it factual.
Ok, fair enough, I did not comprehend that.

I did not mean to threat or anything, and I also resent the fact people did. I understand your decision, but do not approve. It is your right to do with it as you please.

From one developer to another, I think you have more to gain from an open source solution (yes free) and people who gladly contribute than a closed source solution. This with a paymodel and also the support you will have to give. People will expect support, not beta tests.

Again, with very kind regards,

Jurik

User avatar
bueno79
Posts: 96
Joined: Wednesday 08 March 2017 11:26
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 4.9700
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by bueno79 » Monday 16 July 2018 21:46

Jurik wrote:
Monday 16 July 2018 21:35
Controlicz has never been open-source. It has been closed source from day 1. I understand your annoyance at me, but keep it factual.
Ok, fair enough, I did not comprehend that.

I did not mean to threat or anything, and I also resent the fact people did. I understand your decision, but do not approve. It is your right to do with it as you please.

From one developer to another, I think you have more to gain from an open source solution (yes free) and people who gladly contribute than a closed source solution. This with a paymodel and also the support you will have to give. People will expect support, not beta tests.

Again, with very kind regards,

Jurik
fully agree. Bad move for me.

alanlsmith
Posts: 121
Joined: Monday 07 August 2017 17:17
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Latest β
Location: Near London (Saaarf!)
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by alanlsmith » Monday 16 July 2018 21:56

Quite frankly I’m shocked at how grumpy and objectionable people can get when they find that they can’t get a reliable service for free any more.
Domoticz Latest β, Ubuntu 18.04 on Intel NUC i3, 8Gb ram, 70Gb drive, RFXtrx433, z-wave and a bit of Broadlink/Android

Andyf66
Posts: 49
Joined: Wednesday 13 June 2018 12:13
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by Andyf66 » Monday 16 July 2018 22:11

alanlsmith wrote:
Monday 16 July 2018 21:56
Quite frankly I’m shocked at how grumpy and objectionable people can get when they find that they can’t get a reliable service for free any more.
Same here. All that functionality for not a lot of money. I bet they’d happily spend $3 for a coffee in Starbucks that would be gone in 5 minutes. It shocks me how little value people put on the skill it takes to create, build and maintain software. And also the fact it’s actually costing the author money to keep it running.

freijn
Posts: 400
Joined: Friday 23 December 2016 17:40
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Location: Netherlands Purmerend
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by freijn » Monday 16 July 2018 22:38

felix63 wrote:
Monday 16 July 2018 21:28
I myself am more than willing to pay 24 euros a year for such a service!
you only pay 2/3 ???

User avatar
felix63
Posts: 166
Joined: Monday 07 December 2015 10:30
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 3.8275
Location: Gouda
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by felix63 » Monday 16 July 2018 22:42

:lol: I said I was willing to pay 24. I'm dutch after all :-)

Madgeni
Posts: 1354
Joined: Friday 25 March 2016 18:43
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by Madgeni » Tuesday 17 July 2018 0:24

bueno79 wrote:
Monday 16 July 2018 21:19
yes you have to follow google and alexa integration but when I see it is still not possible to control custon selector, temperature sensor are see as a radiator head ("sensor is off and tempis..."...uh???), any switch or module ON/OFF are see as a light (so when you ask : open the garage, you have the answer : OK, I switch on the light garage...

for me this service (controliz) is based on a BETA solution !!! Hard to ask a such price for the moment maybe. And yes of course if people pay, expectations will be higher...you have to be ready :?
Ok, so i'm taking exception to this one. Custom selectors? Ready. Google? NOT ready. Temp sensors, as i've stated again and again, an accepted bug with Google - sensors are coming, and guess what? I'll introduce them.
And your Garage? Let me see: Image: Light/"Type" : "Lighting 1" NOW do you see why i have so much work? I'm good, but i'm not psychic. It's a bloody light. I shall, as you asked me (spoiler: you didn't) fix it. Do me a favour, change that switch's icon to Generic if you can. Voila, Switch.
You know what is beta? and I mean this with the utmost respect. Domoticz. Otherwise there'd be standards for hardware definitions, which means I don't have to code out all the non-standards, and refine them down, so you can say "OK Google turn on the bloody garage"
Native Alexa skill and Google app - register at https://www.controlicz.com - https://twitter.com/Controlicz

User avatar
BUSHA
Posts: 15
Joined: Tuesday 13 June 2017 17:18
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 3.8367
Location: Kharkiv, Ukraine
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by BUSHA » Tuesday 17 July 2018 11:15

Anyone know any alternative to that service?
3€/month It's very expensive. My cellular plan, with 20 Gb and unlimited calls, costs 3.25€...

arjanw
Posts: 10
Joined: Monday 16 November 2015 10:41
Target OS: OS X
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by arjanw » Tuesday 17 July 2018 12:59

Great product, excellent service, will gladly pay 3 euro's per month !

bluebit
Posts: 13
Joined: Monday 21 August 2017 14:09
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by bluebit » Tuesday 17 July 2018 16:30

BUSHA wrote:
Tuesday 17 July 2018 11:15
Anyone know any alternative to that service?
3€/month It's very expensive. My cellular plan, with 20 Gb and unlimited calls, costs 3.25€...
Just use Google home and iftt, basically does the same thing. Takes a bit more effort in setting up though

alanlsmith
Posts: 121
Joined: Monday 07 August 2017 17:17
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Latest β
Location: Near London (Saaarf!)
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by alanlsmith » Tuesday 17 July 2018 17:40

bluebit wrote:
Tuesday 17 July 2018 16:30
Just use Google home and iftt, basically does the same thing. Takes a bit more effort in setting up though
Hardly an alternative 'that's the same thing', I think saying that is a bit of an insult to Madgeni.

I tried IFTTT a lot and gave up due to the delay and unreliability.

IFTTT needs an 'Applet for each interaction between Google Home and Domoticz (ie: one for off and one for one for off for each device). can take an appreciable time to action and quite often doesn't actually do anything when triggered.

So, yes you can cause an action in Domoticz using Google Home via IFTTT but it's definitely not 'basically the same thing'.
Domoticz Latest β, Ubuntu 18.04 on Intel NUC i3, 8Gb ram, 70Gb drive, RFXtrx433, z-wave and a bit of Broadlink/Android

Madgeni
Posts: 1354
Joined: Friday 25 March 2016 18:43
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by Madgeni » Tuesday 17 July 2018 17:48

All - Subscriptions should be implemented tomorrow. I've taken onboard the request to look at the price, and offer an annual subscription:
Monthly is €2, Annually is €20.
Native Alexa skill and Google app - register at https://www.controlicz.com - https://twitter.com/Controlicz

JonyBCN
Posts: 12
Joined: Tuesday 24 May 2016 22:39
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by JonyBCN » Tuesday 17 July 2018 18:04

Madgeni wrote:
Monday 16 July 2018 21:10
I can't control the language - so open/close don't work in any language, i'm at the mercy of Google and Alexa i'm afraid.
Re: dimming lights being detected as switches, that's all on me. Mail me from your Controlicz profile and i'll fix it. A gentle reminder that Domoticz hardware support doesn't have any strict developer controls, so lights/switches have a very flexible approach to type/subtype/switchtype, and sometimes it needs me to work out how to handle all the myriad of hardware types.

I have had some really unpleasant emails from some of my users today, i've been accused of extortion, among other things. Whilst I understand you've had a service for free for quite some time, the fact that you attribute zero perceived value to it, and can feel free to attack me tells me more about some of you, than it does about me.
I'm sorry about the emails, it's true that it says a lot about people.
About my message, do not take it as an aggressive criticism, it is a constructive criticism as a future client.
  In fact, I had to write to you with those data a few days ago, but the events in the forum encouraged me to do it around here.
 
I do not know that the language issue depends on Googe / Amazon. It's a problem, because it makes your product depend too much on third parties.

In a few weeks the sale of Amazon Echo is foreseen in Spain, as soon as I can experiment I inform you of how the language with alexa is going.

Madgeni
Posts: 1354
Joined: Friday 25 March 2016 18:43
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by Madgeni » Tuesday 17 July 2018 18:09

It is inevitable that some devices will misbehave, at least initially, as I have to work out a clean way of handling lots of different types of light/switch behaviours that Domoticz can handle, into a much smaller set that Alexa/Google can handle. But I will always look to improve the service, and there's plenty of new functionality coming from Google - Blinds/InputControllers (selectors!)/native sensors (no more "is off"), plus i think they're releasing new hardware, which Controlicz is ready for.
Native Alexa skill and Google app - register at https://www.controlicz.com - https://twitter.com/Controlicz

bluebit
Posts: 13
Joined: Monday 21 August 2017 14:09
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Controlicz - Domoticz to Google Home/Assistant integration

Post by bluebit » Tuesday 17 July 2018 18:24

alanlsmith wrote:
Tuesday 17 July 2018 17:40
bluebit wrote:
Tuesday 17 July 2018 16:30
Just use Google home and iftt, basically does the same thing. Takes a bit more effort in setting up though
Hardly an alternative 'that's the same thing', I think saying that is a bit of an insult to Madgeni.

I tried IFTTT a lot and gave up due to the delay and unreliability.

IFTTT needs an 'Applet for each interaction between Google Home and Domoticz (ie: one for off and one for one for off for each device). can take an appreciable time to action and quite often doesn't actually do anything when triggered.

So, yes you can cause an action in Domoticz using Google Home via IFTTT but it's definitely not 'basically the same thing'.
No, not my experience, perhaps an unstable connection is the cause of your experience. So basically the same thing. Yes, it's nice that controlicz is integrated and takes less time to setup. But current functionality is quite similar to the things I can achieve with iftt and native Google home functionality. As a matter of fact iftt gives me more flexibility.

New annual subscription possibility is quite good.. Nice

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pvm and 3 guests