Raspberry Pi + usb-webcam + motion + Domoticz

Please use template to report bugs and problems. Post here your questions when not sure where else to post
Only for bugs in the Domoticz application! other problems go in different subforums!
Forum rules
Before posting here, make sure you are on the latest Beta or Stable version.
If you have problems related to the web gui, clear your browser cache + appcache first.

Use the following template when posting here:

Version: xxxx
Platform: xxxx
Plugin/Hardware: xxxx
Description:

If you are having problems with scripts/blockly, always post the script (in a spoiler or code tag) or screenshots of your blockly

If you are replying, please do not quote images/code from the first post

Please mark your topic as Solved when the problem is solved.
cryptonomicon
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 3.8153

Raspberry Pi + usb-webcam + motion + Domoticz

Post by cryptonomicon » Monday 19 February 2018 14:29

Hey everyone,
I've been struggling with this all weekend and just can't get anywhere, and I can't seem to find any clues anywhere... So, I'm hoping someone here can help!

I've got Domoticz installed on a Raspberry Pi 3, everything's working fine and I have a few devices I can control from there.
Then I have another Raspberry Pi (Zero W) which has a cheap USB webcam and is running "motion" for motion detection and video streaming.
Now, of course I want to use this camera stream from Domotics....but I just can't get it to work!

In Domoticz, this is how I've configured my webcam:

IP address: <ip_of_raspberry_pi_zero>
Port: 8081 (port for motion live stream)
User / pwd: Blank
ImageURL: <ip_address>.jpeg

When I click on "Test connection" I get the feed from my webcam - yay!

.....however, when I click on Add, the preview is just a broken image, and neither Take Snapshot nor Stream Video work.
I just get a message saying 'The image "http://<ip_of_rpi3_domoticz>:8080/camsnapshot.jpg?idx=1" cannot be displayed because it contains errors'

I can't find any clues in the Domoticz log, or the logs on my Pi with the webcam.

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

starjuice
Domoticz version: 3.9224

Re: Raspberry Pi + usb-webcam + motion + Domoticz

Post by starjuice » Monday 16 April 2018 1:20

Exactely the same and we are not alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwwaded718

Teknor
Domoticz version: 3.48

Post by Teknor » Monday 16 April 2018 9:24

Common problem. Also, "motion" for motion detection is quit limited. A lot of false triggers, especially outdoors. I recommend you to have a look at pikrellcam. But as far as I know, you will need a RPI cam for that since UBS cams do not work.
Raspberry Pi 3 | EasyESP NodeMCU v3 | RFXTRX433e | Mysensors NRF24L01 | MotionEYE | PikrellCam

starjuice
Domoticz version: 3.9224

Post by starjuice » Monday 16 April 2018 12:19

Teknor wrote:
Monday 16 April 2018 9:24
Common problem. Also, "motion" for motion detection is quit limited. A lot of false triggers, especially outdoors. I recommend you to have a look at pikrellcam. But as far as I know, you will need a RPI cam for that since UBS cams do not work.
I'm not sure that it's a problem with motion. I have another Raspberry with octoprint + usb camera. Exactely the same problem appears, the test is ok but not more.