Upgrade Domoticz 2.5 (Pi B+) to 3.8. (Pi 3 B)

On various Hardware and OS systems: pi / windows / routers / nas, etc
amercat37
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Upgrade Domoticz 2.5 (Pi B+) to 3.8. (Pi 3 B)

Post by amercat37 » Monday 18 December 2017 19:58

I would like to upgrade my Domoticz server from version 2.5 on a Pi B+ to the latest version on a Pi 3 B.
I've read a bunch of forum post and it seems that i could go about this three different ways.

1) Take out the micros SD and place it in the Pi 3
This will not update my OS and I just don't like this idea.

2) Install Stretch and Domoticz on the new Pi and copy over the domoticz folder from the old Pi.
I like that fact that this will copy over all of my scripts and floor plans.
However, does this mean that when I start Domoticz on the new Pi that I will be on version 2.5 again because I copied everything over?
Are there any other incompatibility issues with copying everything over?

3) Install Stretch and Domoticz on the new Pi and then use the GUI to backup/restore from the old Pi to the new Pi and copy over scripts and floorplans.
This seems like the most common way, but is the backup/restore fully compatible between versions? It seems too simple.

Just looking to see if the are any pro's or con's to each way and if there is an officially approved way to upgrade like this.

Thanks.

heggink
Domoticz version: V4.9999

Re: Upgrade Domoticz 2.5 (Pi B+) to 3.8. (Pi 3 B)

Post by heggink » Monday 18 December 2017 20:04

What os version are you on?
Pi3, latest beta
RFXCOM, z-wave (AEOTEC, switches, temhum, pir, contacts),
Plugwise2py, P1 'smart'meter & solar panel
Alexa, Wifi Cams motion detection
ESP: relays, PIR & Temp/TempHum
Geofence iCloud, Bluetooth & Wifi ping
Harmony hub, Nest

amercat37
Domoticz version:

Post by amercat37 » Monday 18 December 2017 21:26

My old Pi B+ is on Wheezy.

michaldobrotka
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by michaldobrotka » Tuesday 19 December 2017 9:46

Hi,
I had similar issue too:
I tried several times to upload my backup made on beta 3.87XX running on Jessie onto fresh stable install made on Stretch with no success. Is there an compatibility problem?
Domoticz on Raspi 3 and slave on ZeroW (running only with Broadlink plugin), Serial Mysensors GW on Arduino nano, Broadlink RM2, Rehau CO2 USB Stick, RF link 433 MHz, 2x Amazon Echo Dot (Controlicz), ESP2866 witk Espeasy, Sonoff

CaesarPL
Domoticz version:

Post by CaesarPL » Tuesday 19 December 2017 10:11

They say you should NOT go from beta back to stable. I've done that, however, the result after some time was database malfunction. Stil working, but there were some issues cleaning the db, for example.

I've couple of times changed Raspbian version, Raspberry Pi, etc. and my thoughts are:
- backup Domoticz db
- copy whole Domoticz folder
- upgrade/ change the card/ change the Raspbian version/ change Raspberry
- restore db
- copy missing files (scripts, floorplans)

Should work.

But, to be honest, why don't you just try? The only thing backup does is copying whole db to your computer, restore just puts it back and restarts Domoticz. THE ONLY issue I had were plugins. They are generally not stable in Domoticz. After switching them off, all the backups, restarts, are fine.
HW:Raspberry PiB+,Pi3,PiB,RFLink,FA20RF,DCS-930L,DCS-935L,Clarus switches,RF Temp sensors,Owl Micro+,Mi Flora,Kerui,Yeelight,Xiaomi,Broadlink RMM3,Alexa
SF:Jessie,Dmtcz 3.8153,Logitech Media srv,PiCorePlayers,Dashticz,Max2Play,InfluxDB,Grafana,HABridge

michaldobrotka
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by michaldobrotka » Tuesday 19 December 2017 10:33

Thats the point - plugin. Im trying to get back broadlink plugin to life (tried everything, stable, beta...), but no way to keep it alive on jessie. As soon I enable it Im loosing connection to domoticz via browser after first reboot.
I was able to run it on stable stretch, but no success to upload db :lol:
And I did even this - fresh install on jessie and downgraded to stable - backup and then tried to upload ion stretch. But after upload domoticz stays always empty
Domoticz on Raspi 3 and slave on ZeroW (running only with Broadlink plugin), Serial Mysensors GW on Arduino nano, Broadlink RM2, Rehau CO2 USB Stick, RF link 433 MHz, 2x Amazon Echo Dot (Controlicz), ESP2866 witk Espeasy, Sonoff

CaesarPL
Domoticz version:

Post by CaesarPL » Tuesday 19 December 2017 11:52

I've quit using plugins because of stability issues. Great loss, as there are some interesting plugins that improve Domoticz a lot! E.g. Polish Airly or Storm report.
HW:Raspberry PiB+,Pi3,PiB,RFLink,FA20RF,DCS-930L,DCS-935L,Clarus switches,RF Temp sensors,Owl Micro+,Mi Flora,Kerui,Yeelight,Xiaomi,Broadlink RMM3,Alexa
SF:Jessie,Dmtcz 3.8153,Logitech Media srv,PiCorePlayers,Dashticz,Max2Play,InfluxDB,Grafana,HABridge

amercat37
Domoticz version:

Post by amercat37 » Tuesday 30 January 2018 17:34

So after much reading, pondering, and debating with myself, I decided to do a fresh build and import the database.

Pi 3 model B running Stretch
Fresh install of Domoticz
Imported DB and copied floor plans and scripts.

The only think that I couldn't get working was Mochad for my X10.
So I left my CM19a and my Aeon ZStick on the old server.
I've decides to just replace all my old X10 and maybe ZWave with Hue, Sonoff, and TPlink, etc.

So I temporarily have two Domoticz servers running which reference each other with json calls and both are 100% stable and functional.
Now I just need to decide on cheap switches, lights, relays, outlets, etc and slowly transition.
I did purchase some Hue bulbs and switches and they are awesome. Thinking about TPLink for wall switches and plugs and Sonoff for relays.

Hansbit
Domoticz version:

Post by Hansbit » Thursday 10 May 2018 16:43

amercat37 wrote:
Tuesday 30 January 2018 17:34
The only think that I couldn't get working was Mochad for my X10.
Solution at: http://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic ... ad#p180247