Identifying devices Topic is solved

Plantje
Target OS: Windows
Domoticz version:

Identifying devices

Post by Plantje » Wednesday 11 January 2017 22:17

I got myself an RFXCom Transceiver yesterday. Installed it and after a while I saw a new device connected to the hardware called RFXCom. After adding it I was able to control the Klik-aan-Klik-uit light that I have at home.

But today I saw two new devices on the RFXCom hardware. Next to that I have an Aeon Z-Wave USB stick and that has resulted in quite a long list of devices as well. How can I identify those devices?
Especially for the two new RFXCom devices. I can just switch them off and on and hope my neighbours don't end up in the dark. And in the long run I expect to add more 433Mhz devices. Is there a way to identify them? Or is there a way to actively add them (like with Z-Wave)?

SweetPants
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: V3.8330

Re: Identifying devices

Post by SweetPants » Wednesday 11 January 2017 23:41

Don't leave "Accept new Hardware Devices" on permanently, you will end up with all 433 devices in the neighbourhood. Try to use "Allow for 5 minutes" and force your devices to be identified/learned by the RFXCom. You can also manually Add swithes if you know it's type and specific code's.

Plantje
Domoticz version:

Post by Plantje » Thursday 12 January 2017 0:05

Hmmm... Ok, I have changed that setting. Good one! I forgot how to force my device to be identified by RFXCom... do the KaKu devices have some sort of switch? I'll get to know that again when I expand my devices.

I don't really see the option to manually add a device.

Anyway...still not really clear how to determine what a device is that I see in the list. Does the device for example "broadcast" more information like brand and type?

koowee
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by koowee » Thursday 12 January 2017 10:42

Plantje wrote:I don't really see the option to manually add a device
You find that option on Switches tab > Manual Light/Switch

Plantje
Domoticz version:

Post by Plantje » Monday 23 January 2017 12:29

Thanks a lot for telling me how to add switches manually! Last weekend I received some second hand KaKu switches and no matter how often I hit that connect button I couldn't get Domoticz to find them. Tried allowing new devices for five minutes, setting the system completely open again...nothing! And then I tried adding a switch manually and hit the connect button on the KaKu device after that. Got them all working!

Thanks again!

bbqkees
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 3.5x

Post by bbqkees » Monday 23 January 2017 12:32

The thing is those KaKu switches are only receivers, so they do not transmit anything, and therefore Domoticz cannot detect those.
If you add it manually and click on 'connect', it will transmit a code to the switch, so the switch will learn this code and now Domoticz can control it.
Intel NUC-> Philips Hue, Aeon Zwave stick V2, Qubino, Fibaro, Everspring, Philio, RFXCom, X10, Harmony Hub, Xiaomi Flora + Gateway, BS440. And P1 / Resol VBus / Nefit EMS bus / DHT21 / DS18B20 / Sonoff / I2C display, all via Arduino/ESP8266.

Plantje
Domoticz version:

Post by Plantje » Thursday 26 January 2017 16:54

That's true. Thanks for clearing that up. Now I know why this is the best way to connect KaKu stuff.

What I am wondering about is: if I switch the light bulb using a switch, Domoticz notices the light is switched...how come? Does the RFXCom also pick up the signal from the KaKu light switch?

Plantje
Domoticz version:

Post by Plantje » Friday 27 January 2017 10:47

On second thought... this is quite strange...

The first light that was already available as soon as I connected my RFXCom. If I switch on that light using the KaKu switch after a while in Domoticz I see it is switched on. And the other way around works as well: if I switch off the light using the light switch Domoticz shows it is switched off.
Yesterday I bought two switches to control some other KaKu lights. However if I use those to switch on the lights Domoticz still shows they are switched off.
The difference is: with the new lights I first added the receiver to Domoticz and added it as a manual added switch. The light in the attic was already in place and was found automatically by Domoticz.

What may be the cause of this difference? Not a huge issue though....