No more new free API-keys from wUnderground

Subforum for general discussions. Do not dump your questions/problems here, but try to find the subforum where it belongs!
EdwinK
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: BETA

No more new free API-keys from wUnderground

Post by EdwinK » Wednesday 04 July 2018 9:14

Just found out that wunderground no longer has free API's available.
To improve our services and enhance our relationship with our users, we will no longer provide free weather API keys as part of our program. If you have been directed to download our Weather Underground free API key by a third party provider, please contact your vendor for resolution.
As far as I know, existing keys will still be working
Last edited by EdwinK on Wednesday 04 July 2018 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
Running latest BETA on a Pi-3 | Toon Thermostat | RFxcom | Dashticz V2 |

poudenes
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: 3.8993

Re: No more free API-keys from wUnderground

Post by poudenes » Wednesday 04 July 2018 19:51

My free key is still working.
RPi3 with OSMC - RPi3 with Domoticz - Dashticz - MiLight - Nanolead Aurora - KaKu - Logitech Hamony - Nest - RFLink

EdwinK
Domoticz version: BETA

Re: No more free API-keys from wUnderground

Post by EdwinK » Wednesday 04 July 2018 20:16

Yes, that is what I say at the last line ;) existing keys will still be working. They don't make new ones anymore.
Running latest BETA on a Pi-3 | Toon Thermostat | RFxcom | Dashticz V2 |

Sushukka
Target OS: -
Domoticz version:

Re: No more new free API-keys from wUnderground

Post by Sushukka » Friday 10 August 2018 20:23

Was a nice little surprise when I bought today a new weather station with all nice wifi blablabla features "integrated with Wunderground" just do this and this and you're ready to go. Pfft, without Wunderground API key my dreams with simple Domoticz integration flied away. Oh yes, you can get the API key if you buy the at least the basic package...which costs only $850 per month. Really don't get it. People are feeding free information from their weather stations which will then be used for whatever. At least for personal use API keys really should stay free.

Anyway, my Ambient Weather station clone (there are tons of similar clones around the globe = basically the same hardware), supports also Weathercloud and METOffice's WeatherObservationsWebsite. Now I have to start investigating what kind of APIs they have for accessing the data. Both seem to have REST APIs but need to dig deeper to understand them better. Also I'm not an expert on C/C++ although have quite good experience writing Arduino/ESP/whatnot sketches, so probably I have to start building automated scripts to feed some virtual sensors on Domoticz. However, it would be nice to have some other weather provider than wunderground on Domoticz hardware section. Maybe some with better expertise could build support eg. to weathercloud there. Anyway, I'll submit my scripts here after I have managed to write them.

lotte3500
Domoticz version: 4.9700

Re: No more new free API-keys from wUnderground

Post by lotte3500 » Friday 10 August 2018 20:50

It was a suprise for me as well, when I bought a WiFi weather station (Ventus W830, which has also a lot of clones) a month ago.
But I have managed to make it work with domoticz.
Roughly I did these steps:

I used weeWX with the intercepter extension to extract the URL that is being send to weather underground.
(http://www.weewx.com/).
https://github.com/matthewwall/weewx-interceptor

At this point the weather station data has been extracted locally and can also be seen in a web page for example.

There is an MQTT extension for weewx that can upload the weather data to an MQTT broker.
https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/mqtt

I installed mosquitto and I am using Node-RED to listen to these messages and translate them into JSON strings which feed virtual sensors in domoticz.
https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/MQTT