Best Domoticz Sensor Ecosystem

Subforum for general discussions. Do not dump your questions/problems here, but try to find the subforum where it belongs!
tomasz
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Best Domoticz Sensor Ecosystem

Post by tomasz » Monday 02 July 2018 22:40

Hi!

I just started playing with Domoticz on RPi3 and got RFLink for first testing/playground. So far so good :)!

But for real application I want to use something that is more elaborate and has a good set of sensors. Two options that I consider is Z-Wave and Xiaomi Aqara. Is there anything else I should look at? A barely have time to do soldering/programming, so off the shelve solutions are preferable.

I don't consider RFLink/433Mhz sufficient, as it seams it doesn't have any security features. Or does it? (with RFLink I can handle my neighbours light switches..)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input!
Tom

philchillbill
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: beta

Re: Best Domoticz Sensor Ecosystem

Post by philchillbill » Monday 02 July 2018 22:49

Go with zwave. Unlike 433MHz gear, it’s bidirectional so you can verify a command was actually received by a device. It also uses a mesh network to improve coverage. The Neo Coolcam branded stuff on AliExpress is affordable and quite good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NUC/Ubuntu, Evohome Heating + HGI80, Evohome Security, 4x HikVision IP cams, Aeotec, Neo & Fibaro Z-Wave, Logitech Media Server (on Synology DS916+), 10x SqueezeBox, Kodi, Harmony Hub, 5x Amazon Echo, HA-Bridge, Hue.

tomasz
Domoticz version:

Post by tomasz » Tuesday 03 July 2018 16:05

Hi Phil,

Yes, it seems like z-wave is reasonable. My feeling is that I will end up with actuators/switches with z-wave, and 433 temperature sensors etc. I will check out how wifi can be used together. Do you think that 3 types of buses/interfaces is reasonable? I can imagine that if I would like to add light control (color/intensity etc.) it would mean that another gateway is needed (i.e. HUE bridge). Will Domoticz manage to cover 3-4 gateways with reasonable performance (i.e. no delays)?

Anyway, I need to buying some hardware to play a bit ;).

Thanks!
Tom

philchillbill

Post by philchillbill » Wednesday 04 July 2018 12:06

I have a mix of zwave, zigbee, WiFi and Honeywell Evohome gateways and Domoticz handles it all with ease

NUC/Ubuntu, Evohome Heating + HGI80, Evohome Security, 4x HikVision IP cams, Aeotec, Neo & Fibaro Z-Wave, Logitech Media Server (on Synology DS916+), 10x SqueezeBox, Kodi, Harmony Hub, 5x Amazon Echo, HA-Bridge, Hue.

EdddieN
Domoticz version: 4.9700

Post by EdddieN » Thursday 12 July 2018 20:03

philchillbill wrote:
Wednesday 04 July 2018 12:06
I have a mix of zwave, zigbee, WiFi and Honeywell Evohome gateways and Domoticz handles it all with ease

zigbee with domoticz? interested! how?
11101101 - www.machinon.com

philchillbill

Post by philchillbill » Friday 13 July 2018 9:10

EdddieN wrote:
Thursday 12 July 2018 20:03
zigbee with domoticz? interested! how?
The Philips Hue hub is a zigbee animal...