Read Temperature from DS18B20 and send to WeatherUnderground

Subforum for general discussions. Do not dump your questions/problems here, but try to find the subforum where it belongs!
rowanbradley
Target OS: Windows
Domoticz version: 3.9025

Read Temperature from DS18B20 and send to WeatherUnderground

Post by rowanbradley » Thursday 12 July 2018 21:04

I have been trying for some time to get Domoticz (running on Windows 8.1) to do something useful and/or interesting, with very little success so far. My initial challenge is to read (every 5 minutes, say) the temperature from a DS18B20 temperature sensor, connected to the PC via a DS9490R USB-to-1Wire interface, and to send the readings to my WeatherUnderground account. I hoped/assumed that there would already be a good way of connecting DS18B20 sensors to Domoticz, but try as I may, I have not been able to get anything to work. Can someone please give me blow by blow instructions for getting this working (including what files I need to download, and where from)? I accept that an interface to WeatherUnderground may well not exist at present, and that I will have to write a plug-in of my own to do it. This I think will be a good learning exercise for me, because I have lots more things that I want to do with Domoticz once I've got past this initial hurdle.

Is Domoticz a good tool to do what I'm trying to do? Would you recommend something better?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Rowan

freijn
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Re: Read Temperature from DS18B20 and send to WeatherUnderground

Post by freijn » Friday 13 July 2018 7:44

Hi Rowan,

Get an ESP8266 , for starters I recomend the NodeMCU development board.
"dump" ESPEasy on it and in 3 min you have a good working sensor to your domoticz :-)

https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/ESPEasy

Charley
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: V3.9030

Post by Charley » Friday 13 July 2018 8:13

Hello Rowan,

I made a temperature sensor that is much more precise then a DS18B20 (it heats up in the sun and gives wrong temperature, did you ever wonder why the temperature meter in your car doesn't show a high temperature in de summer.)

It is based on a MLX90614ESF and an ESP 32 all the instructions are on github

https://github.com/SpoturDeal/Esp32PreciseTemperature

rowanbradley

Post by rowanbradley » Friday 13 July 2018 9:37

Charley wrote:
Friday 13 July 2018 8:13
Hello Rowan,

I made a temperature sensor that is much more precise then a DS18B20 (it heats up in the sun and gives wrong temperature, did you ever wonder why the temperature meter in your car doesn't show a high temperature in de summer.)

It is based on a MLX90614ESF and an ESP 32 all the instructions are on github

https://github.com/SpoturDeal/Esp32PreciseTemperature
Thanks for this suggestion. Surely the problem of the DS18B20 heating up in the sun is only the case it you let sun shine on it? If it is in the shade (best case in a Stevenson Screen or similar) then the sun can;t shine on it and it will give accurate readings? And in other situations, e.g. measuring the temperatures of rooms in my house, of the flow and return pipes to my radiators, of my boiler and of different levels in my hot water cylinder, where most of the heat comes by conduction, then the DS18B20 will do a good job? It seems a good solution to me because it is directly digital, so doesn't need calibrating, it is cheap, it is high resolution and accurate, and multiple sensors can be daisy chained without requiring multiple interfaces.

Thanks - Rowan

rowanbradley

Post by rowanbradley » Friday 13 July 2018 9:44

freijn wrote:
Friday 13 July 2018 7:44
Get an ESP8266 , for starters I recomend the NodeMCU development board.
"dump" ESPEasy on it and in 3 min you have a good working sensor to your domoticz :-)

https://www.letscontrolit.com/wiki/index.php/ESPEasy
Thanks for your reply. I have tried a similar plan to this. I bought a Wemos D1 Mini, and tried to install ESPEasy on it. I couldn't get it to work though. Maybe I will try again. Ideally I would like to interface directly from the PC to the sensors via the DS9490R and the OneWire bus, since this is already all set up and working (using OneWireViewer). I just need to get it working with Domoticz. I have been trying to use OneWireDomoticzServiceInstaller.msi to do this, but can't get this to work. Has anyone got this working with a DS9490R in a Windows PC and a DS18B20? If so, I would be most grateful if you could give me a blow-by -blow description of the process you used to set this up.

Thanks - Rowan