Remeha Boiler/CV - logging data from serial port to ESP8266

For heating/cooling related questions in Domoticz
rjblake
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version:

Remeha Boiler/CV - logging data from serial port to ESP8266

Postby rjblake » Tuesday 13 December 2016 12:22

I have a Remeha Calenta 40C and the built in serial port provides plenty of information on the boiler operations. I have built and installed the excellent Opentherm gateway and happily getting some information from it to manage my heating system. But, as always - I want more! Looking at the Remeha Recom software, there are a number of really useful additions to the standard Opentherm messages that would make it even better. Add the ability to plug in an ESP8266 directly to the boiler and you have an excellent management addition to your system. So far, I've managed to sniff the correct HEX string to poll the boiler for data and receive a response. Looking to create a LUA script to do this, but at a loss as to how to get this into Domoticz. Would I need to create a PR and look to add new 'Remeha' hardware which could/would be configured based on the model (Avanta, Calenta, Tzerra, etc. - although there are more sub models/versions per the Recom XML files)? Anybody been down this route or have any interest?
Last edited by rjblake on Thursday 19 January 2017 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

rjblake
Domoticz version:

Re: Remeha Boiler/CV - logging data from serial port to ESP8266

Postby rjblake » Sunday 08 January 2017 19:05

Quick update - having found some others (Robert Hekkers & Peter Maaswinkel) who had done similar elsewhere, I've managed to create/adapt/update a PHP script that connects to the ESP8266 and receives/decodes the information correctly from the Remeha Calenta 40C (results will vary by model). Have now added code to populate devices in Domoticz and all working correctly. CRC check has also been added. Total cost of €12.00 for hardware which gives me more options than my OTGW :)

For those who want the code as it stands, I have now added this to GitHub https://github.com/rjblake/remeha

The data I am currently polling is as follows and looking into adding Parameters & Identification info next:

========================================
Counters Received: 2017-01-18 10:59:32
========================================
Hours run pump CH+DHW: 1852
Hours run 3-way valve DHW: 17098
Hours run CH+DHW: 1444
Hours run DHW: 61
Power Supply available hours: 18734
Pump starts CH+DHW: 328
Number of 3-way valve cycles: 2104
Burner Starts DHW: 17968
Total Burner Starts CH+DHW: 19792
Failed burner starts: 4
Number of flame loss: 2
==========================================
Parameters & Values Received:
Flow Temperature: 40.43 °C
Return Temperature: 40.09 °C
DHW-in Temperature: 0.00 °C
Calorifier Temperature: 0.00 °C
Outside Temperature: 0.00 °C
Control Temperature: 7.00 °C
Internal Setpoint: 7.00 °C
CH Setpoint: 7.00 °C
DHW Setpoint: 60.00 °C
Room Temperature: 21.19 °C
Room Temp. Setpoint: 16.00 °C
Boiler Control Temp.: 43.80 °C
Fan Speed setpoint: 0 RPM
Fan Speed: 0 RPM
Ionisation Current: 0.0 μA
Pump Speed: 0 %
Hydro Pressure: 1.7 bar
DHW Flow rate: 0.00 litres/min.
Desired Max.Power from controller: 100 %
Output: 0 %
Actual Power from boiler: 0 %
Ignition: 11:Off
Gas Valve: 11:Closed
Ionisation: 194:No
Pump: 16:Off
3-Way Valve: 11:DHW
Heat Demand from mod.controller: 1:No
Heat Demand from on/off controller: 1:No
DHW Eco: 1:Yes
DHW Demand: 1:No
Combined State/Sub-State: 0:Standby / 0:Standby

knny
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Postby knny » Tuesday 31 January 2017 17:54

How to get this working in Domoticz?
I have a Remeha Tzerra with working FTDI cable and a raspberry Pi with Domoticz

rjblake
Domoticz version:

Postby rjblake » Tuesday 31 January 2017 19:54

knny wrote:How to get this working in Domoticz?

The PHP is written to communicate using the telnet port on the ESP. You'd need to change the code to work over USB. I'm not sure if the hex codes are the same for the Tzerra as they are for the Calenta, but you can try the PHP scripts (on github) I created. You need PHP on the Pi to run them. Best is to run the Recom software first to check the hex being sent to the Tzerra, check whick Recom XML file it is using and you may need to do some mapping. The quickest check is to run the remeha.php (php -f remeha.php) from a terminal window after you have edited the .ini file with your IP address etc.

knny
Domoticz version:

Postby knny » Wednesday 01 February 2017 22:26

rjblake wrote:

The PHP is written to communicate using the telnet port on the ESP. You'd need to change the code to work over USB. I'm not sure if the hex codes are the same for the Tzerra as they are for the Calenta, but you can try the PHP scripts (on github) I created. You need PHP on the Pi to run them. Best is to run the Recom software first to check the hex being sent to the Tzerra, check whick Recom XML file it is using and you may need to do some mapping. The quickest check is to run the remeha.php (php -f remeha.php) from a terminal window after you have edited the .ini file with your IP address etc.

I'm not a programmer, so I have to wait till someone writes a script working for al Remeha's to work with Domoticz :roll:

rjblake
Domoticz version:

Postby rjblake » Wednesday 01 February 2017 23:10

knny wrote:
rjblake wrote:

I'm not a programmer, so I have to wait till someone writes a script working for al Remeha's to work with Domoticz :roll:

It will be difficult/near to impossible to do without have a Tzerra to test this with unfortunately as Remeha does not publish the technical documentation required to communicate with the CV. Only through sniffing the packets to/from the CV is this possible. Once certain parameters are known, it is a matter of mapping these to some XML files (that are readily available from the Remeha Recom software) to decode the information into something that can be translated for Domoticz or other purposes. As suggested, you should try this with at least the Recom software or simply run the existing scripts. If you get responses from the scripts, it is a good start. A better position to be in after this is to know what XML file matches your CV - that way the scripts can easily be modified to suit your specific model CV. Also, using an ESP8266 plugged directly into the CV would mean that no rewrite is needed for the Telnet vs. USB communications and you can buy these for between €5-12 so a cheap option

knny
Domoticz version:

Postby knny » Thursday 02 February 2017 9:53

rjblake wrote:
knny wrote:
rjblake wrote:

It will be difficult/near to impossible to do without have a Tzerra to test this with unfortunately as Remeha does not publish the technical documentation required to communicate with the CV. Only through sniffing the packets to/from the CV is this possible. Once certain parameters are known, it is a matter of mapping these to some XML files (that are readily available from the Remeha Recom software) to decode the information into something that can be translated for Domoticz or other purposes. As suggested, you should try this with at least the Recom software or simply run the existing scripts. If you get responses from the scripts, it is a good start. A better position to be in after this is to know what XML file matches your CV - that way the scripts can easily be modified to suit your specific model CV. Also, using an ESP8266 plugged directly into the CV would mean that no rewrite is needed for the Telnet vs. USB communications and you can buy these for between €5-12 so a cheap option

OK, I have a working FTDI rj10 to usb cable right now. It is recognised in Recom software so that's running fine.
I have found a ESP8266 module with USB port already included. I assume that my rj10 to USB cable gives it his power then.
This is the device https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/adafruit-feather-huzzah-with-esp8266-wifi
With that I can try to run the php files you made?

rjblake
Domoticz version:

Postby rjblake » Thursday 02 February 2017 21:08

Nope - wrong ESP - you'll want this one: https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/adafrui ... ruit%20esp . You'll need an RJ10 cable to connect to the ESP8266, suggest loading it with the ESP-Link software (you'll need and FTDI cable /FTDI friend to do this) and from there you should be fine (see here http://domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14542&p=107074&hilit=adafruit#p107074. With the Recom software running and connecting to the CV, what does it say in the lower right corner? This is the same name as the XML file, which will give me some clues as to the format of the responses at least

Return to “Heating/cooling”