Individual polling interval

Use this forum to discuss possible implementation of a new feature before opening a ticket.
A developer shall edit the topic title with "[xxx]" where xxx is the id of the accompanying tracker id.
Duplicate posts about the same id. +1 posts are not allowed.
juankar
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:

Individual polling interval

Postby juankar » Sunday 30 August 2015 19:12

Hello
I think it would be a good idea to allow individual time polling interval for every device.

Thanks

gizmocuz
Domoticz version: beta

Re: Individual polling interval

Postby gizmocuz » Sunday 30 August 2015 19:22

are you talking about zwave ? If yes, why not post it in the forum for zwave ?
why would you want this? I also think that any hardware device that needs polling is bad designed!
Quality outlives Quantity!

juankar
Domoticz version:

Postby juankar » Sunday 30 August 2015 19:59

Hello
I've read that other controllers allows this function, so I thought it dependes on controller, not on ZWave. This is the reason becasuse I post it here.
I dont like polling, I thik you are right, but some times it's necessary.

Thanks

gizmocuz

Postby gizmocuz » Sunday 30 August 2015 20:19

Why do you need it?

juankar
Domoticz version:

Postby juankar » Monday 31 August 2015 11:46

Well, I have a doublé relay Phillio and it doesn't report status to controller when it is switched manuallly, by hand. I've read in forum that Qubino has he same issue, even Qubino thermostate. The only way to read status is polling or workaround scrips like posted in https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7043. ... that's not all device are well designed, so polling is needed. My suggestion is that the pollíng substitute this fault and it can be set for individual devices. Think about a device you need a pollíng every 1 second but other device needs be read every 10 min... So we can optimize time for polling. It's just an idea, of course.

bye

raym
Target OS: Linux

Re: RE: Re: Individual polling interval

Postby raym » Thursday 25 February 2016 8:51

gizmocuz wrote:Why do you need it?

I'd like to show my support for this request. It's possibly the only Z-Wave related setting I'm missing in Domoticz compared with other commercial solutions and I think it could benefit many people.

Everyone knows polling should be avoided but its still necessary for certain devices and here's why a configurable polling interval (per device) is important...

I have several battery powered (FLiRS) Z-Wave thermostats that never update setpoint or current temp readings unless polled. I need to poll these but I don't want to do it every 60 secs as this would deplete the batteries in less than a week! Something like every hour or two would be perfect and avoid my devices constantly appearing dead (when not). However, I also have many older gen mains powered switches which need to be polled, otherwise, when operated manually, their statuses are never reflected in the UI. I want to set a 30 - 60 sec poll interval for these.

I'm hoping that since we already have the check box option to enable/disable polling on a per device basis, that it would not be too difficult to add an editable field to define the interval as well? This would be fantastic.

Thanks for listening.

Egregius
Domoticz version: 3.5877

Postby Egregius » Thursday 25 February 2016 15:26

raym
Target OS: Linux

Re: RE: Re: Individual polling interval

Postby raym » Thursday 25 February 2016 22:50

Egregius wrote:Custom polling search.php?keywords=Refreshzwave ;)

Thank you! I didn't realise this was actually doing a poll (although I should have!!).

Thanks again.

PS - this is perfect for me but for the sake of simplicity and ease of use, I still think an editable field on the UI as described above would be a nice enhancement.

Egregius
Domoticz version: 3.5877

Postby Egregius » Friday 26 February 2016 7:59

Off course, everything that's builtin would normally be better than workarounds like this, but it's working and that's what matters to me.

juankar
Domoticz version:

Postby juankar » Friday 26 February 2016 12:56

What I can't understand is that some devices doesn't return status (althoug it must do it) but if you go to ZWave panel control and refresh you can see the new status (after a manual swtiching, for instance). Using this fact there is a workaround script that works fine,then why DomoticZ doesn't incorpore this method to get status changes of devices? I think it would be quicker and effective.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7043&p=54276&hilit=Refreshzwave#p54276
Of course I don't know how DomoticZ Works and perhaps what I beg is not possible.

Bye

ben53252642
Domoticz version:

Postby ben53252642 » Sunday 31 July 2016 9:31

+ 1 for individual device polling, some of my Z-Wave devices just stop sending values after a certain amount of time. When I was using HomeSeer I would just poll them on set intervals to get the needed data.

I know it's not efficient but if there is sufficient bandwidth on the Z-Wave network then I see no reason why not to allow it.

juankar
Domoticz version:

Postby juankar » Sunday 31 July 2016 12:24

If I have devices that sends report when its status changes, why to use polling with them?
The question is taht polling in ZWay is for all devices or for none devices, and that is the reason I think polloing is not optimized.

ben53252642
Domoticz version:

Postby ben53252642 » Sunday 31 July 2016 19:55

juankar I am in agreement with your logic, my experience is that sometimes a device (appliance module) for instance, will stop sending reports. Polling has been an effective work-around for this in the past, hence why I suggest we allow setting the interval on individual devices.

gimlichael
Target OS: Windows
Domoticz version:

Postby gimlichael » Tuesday 10 January 2017 16:18

+1 .. I have the Aeotec Multisensor 6 on battery, and it is far simpler to let the controller talk to this device (eg. every 15 minutes) than keep re-configuring the device itself. Problem with this particular device is, that when trying to update (no matter Z-WAVE network and strength) it is often reported dead.

Solution from Aeotec is, to always configure USB powered .. but this is not easy considering different placement of sensors on battery.

Please add polling interval per. device .. this *should* be a relative simple task.
One global value to fallback to; otherwise use individual setting.

If Domoticz was programmed in .NET, I would be happy to contribute to the code.

gizmocuz

Postby gizmocuz » Tuesday 10 January 2017 16:29

.Net ? No.... but if you know c# you can also read c++ i suppose ?
Anyway, this is not how the ozw driver works

Have a look at the Manager::EnablePoll function, we need to supply an 'intensity' that domoticz sets to 1 on default
Now... this is getting complicated for the end user, as for example you set a poll time (1 minute), set the intensity to 1 for some nodes (nodes ? actually it is per sensor type like temperature, voltage, power...), and some to intensity 3
Hard to tell how many times a node, or it's sensor is polled now

Then again... if i want to have good temperature reading from a room, i make use of powered nodes, or even better a simple MySensors or 433Mhz RF device that you can by for <10 euro's
Devices that does not send the light state, and need to be polled, i consider as bad devices and i would not want to use them

Return to “Suggestions”