Philips hue compatible product (who tested it?)

Spotted a nice hardware deal? Share here!
remb0
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta

Philips hue compatible product (who tested it?)

Post by remb0 » Tuesday 06 March 2018 20:16

JIAWEN Zigbee Smartphone Control Dimmable LED Bulb

I Haven't tested it myself but looks promising and should be working, who can confirm this?
prices is cheaper as ikea and hue, so it would be really nice.
All Domoticz compatible products at shop: https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Compatibl ... n_gearbest

Jem101

Re: Philips hue compatible product (who tested it?)

Post by Jem101 » Wednesday 07 March 2018 1:13

I ordered one a few days ago and had an email saying that it has been shipped. Delivery time though is anything up to 30 days so I may have a bit of a wait!

Once it does finally arrive and I've had a chance to test it, I will post here with my results.
I firmly believe in having an open mind - although not so open that your brain falls out!

- sometimes attributed to Carl Sagan, but the original quote is much older than that

remb0

Post by remb0 » Wednesday 07 March 2018 21:13

thank you very much. I have read on other blogs that is is compatible, the quality is lower and the product is a little bigger. but cheaper. I would like to hear your opinion.
All Domoticz compatible products at shop: https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/Compatibl ... n_gearbest

Jem101

Post by Jem101 » Wednesday 28 March 2018 23:25

Well then as promised a brief summary of my findings regarding his bulb.

Ordered on 4th March and it arrived on 26th so just over three weeks which was quicker than I was expecting. Nicely packaged up, looks very similar to the Philips bulb, but as I do not have a Philips bulb to compare it with, I can't really comment on the differences.

It took three or four goes to pair it with my Philips Hub, but eventually it succeeded, I could control it perfectly with the app, Domoticz added it OK and I was able to control the colour and brightness from within the web interface. Colour and brightness looked just fine to me, but, as I said not having used an actual Hue bulb, I can't really make a valid comparison.

So far, then, so good. The next morning, I installed the bulb in my daughter's bedroom replacing her existing Hue white bulb. The Hue dimmer switch in her room worked OK to switch it on and off, I couldn't see how to assign colours to various presses of the dimmer switch, I suspect I need to create scenes first and add them that way.

My daughter liked the bulb and the ability to change the colour, until about 8 PM when she called me to say that the bulb had 'flickered a pink colour and had now gone off'. She also said that the bulb had made an odd sound just before.

The Hue app could still see it, and claimed to be able to turn the bulb on and off but whatever I did, I couldn't get the bulb to actually light up. This morning I took the bulb down from the light fitting and something in the casing where the screw thread is, is rattling around. It seems to me that something has possibly overheated, broken away and is now loose inside the casing.

Just in case, I've tried factory resetting the bulb but the Hue app no longer sees it, the bulb doesn't light up when power is restored and I can only conclude that it is almost certainly dead after a total of about three hours of use.

Tomorrow, I'll probably just put it in the recycling.

Of course, it's possible that I was unlucky with a bulb with a manufacturing defect, but I really don't think I'll be purchasing anything else. I think I'll stick to the actual Philips bulbs, I'll pay more, but they probably don't fall apart on the first day!
I firmly believe in having an open mind - although not so open that your brain falls out!

- sometimes attributed to Carl Sagan, but the original quote is much older than that

deennoo
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: beta

Post by deennoo » Tuesday 03 April 2018 14:36

Domoticz stable 3.5877 for real & Domoticz beta for test
Rfxtrxe / RFLink / Milight / Yeelight / ESP8266 / MQTT / BLE
http://domo-attitude.fr