change configuration for zwave

Topics (not sure which fora)
when not sure where to post, post here and mods will move it to right forum.
Flopp
Target OS: -
Domoticz version:

Post by Flopp » Monday 18 June 2018 9:52

Is it possible to change the configuration for a z-wave device?

I added a new device, Telldus TZWP-102.xml to my domoticz setup, DZ now sees my new device and I can also see the configuration-page for my new device, but I found a spelling error on the configuration-page and if I change the xml file for the specific device and restart DZ nothing happens. I found my Zwave setup file in Config folder, if I change in that file and restart DZ it gets overwritten.

So where are the settings for the devices stored?

Flopp
Domoticz version:

Re: change configuration for zwave

Post by Flopp » Tuesday 19 June 2018 6:53

I change in TZWP-102.xml file, stopped DZ, then delete my zwcfg_0x........xml file and start, DZ then recreated a new zwcfg_0x....xml file with my settings from TZWP-102.xml.
Nice

rrozema
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: beta

Post by rrozema » Friday 22 June 2018 13:19

A Z-wave's device configuration is stored in the z-wave device itself. The files in the Config folder are used to interpret those data and format it to display it to you, the end user. The contents of the zwcfg_0x........xml file is a cache of the settings for all devices in your z-wave network. If you change anything in there it will show as if the settings were changed in Domoticz, however it will not be those settings that your device actually uses, plus those data will be overwritten whenever your domoticz decides to re-read your device's configuration.

The proper way to change the device's configuration is therefor to alter the device's settings and then press 'apply configuration for this device'. Still, the new settings may not become effective for some time, depending on the device. For example, many (battery operated) devices are most of the time in a sleeping mode and only sporadically contact the controller (the period for doing this is often a device setting itself). The controller will hold the commands to set the new settings in a queue until the device comes out of the sleep mode and contacts the controller. For some devices this may be a very long period from a couple of minutes to hours or even days. I have a co detector that has a wake-up period of once every 12 hours. This device can therefor potentially only apply the new setting 12 hours after you've pressed the 'Apply ...' button. Often however such devices can be 'forced' to contact the controller by pressing for example a button on/in the device. Other devices allow settings to be altered on the device itself, and you would need to press the 'Request current stored values from device' button to get the new settings in Domoticz.

So in conclusion: don't change the zwcfg_0x<house code>.xml, it looks like it works but it is useless. Don't change the files in Config, unless you know what you're doing and need to teach Domoticz about some particular behaviour of your device (if you do, please also upload your change to github so others can benefit from your knowledge too). If you change a device's settings, either be patient or read its manual to see if you can force it to contact the controller. Furthermore, Don't go on a device-setting spree, changing many settings quickly after each other, the controller has only a limited number of locations in its queue, and it CAN fill up before your settings can be delivered to your device. What happens if the queue does fill up is not completely clear to me. You may simply lose your changes.

Flopp
Domoticz version:

Post by Flopp » Friday 22 June 2018 22:28

Thanks for a very detailed answer.

I was unclear in my text.

What I want to change is the text that describe a function.

I have created an xml file for a new device and upload it to github for openzwave.

rrozema
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: beta

Post by rrozema » Friday 22 June 2018 23:16

I'm not sure, but I thought changing the description in the definition file inside the Config\ subfolder should be sufficient to change the description in the settings page right away.