OpenZwave Timeouts, no domotica anymore

Topics (not sure which fora)
when not sure where to post, post here and mods will move it to right forum.
Ray-Man
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: 3.x

OpenZwave Timeouts, no domotica anymore

Post by Ray-Man » Wednesday 13 September 2017 12:32

Hello all,

I hope one of you guys can help me out with something:

old setting: Aeotec Z-stick G2 on Ubuntu 16.03 (a VMWare ESXi 6.5 host). Zwave worked fine, solid performance but occasionally an USB<>Linux/VMWare problem.

That's why I bought an Aeotec Z-stick G5 to overcome that problem. But here's the thing; I can add nodes, no problem with that. I can switch the nodes on and off but after each action I see two timeouts for that node. After a few minutes all nodes stop responding all together and only timeouts appear in the log.
But, when I change back to the old controller, exactly the same thing will happen! Besides the controller I changed nothing (except for deleting and adding nodes).
Action so far besides the initial tests after changing controller back and forth:
Reset new controller and added a few nodes.
Reset old controller and added a few nodes.
Reinstalled Domoticz (on a new VM), used new controller and added a few nodes
Reinstalled Domoticz (on a new VM, not the one above), used old controller and added a few nodes.

The timeouts still occur and after a few moments all nodes stop responding.

Used the recent stable Domoticz release and (for the new VM's V3.8394.

I'm completely lost what to do and at this moment have no domotica active.

Please help!

Regards,
Remon

tlpeter
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta

Re: OpenZwave Timeouts, no domotica anymore

Post by tlpeter » Wednesday 13 September 2017 17:10

Did you exclude the nodes?
Sometimes it takes some time to get the routes stable and the timeouts disappear after some time.
Did you try to restart the domoticz service?
I do have timeouts sometimes and even from a device which is 20 centimeters away from the stick.

Ray-Man
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: 3.x

Re: OpenZwave Timeouts, no domotica anymore

Post by Ray-Man » Wednesday 13 September 2017 17:38

Yes in- and exluded nodes using different procedures (using the stick and using domoticz itself).
Yes I know, in the past I had nodes responding after a few minutes after adding them (placed far away from the controller). But here it seems to go the opposite way: nodes do respond right after a reboot but in a short amount of time the just stop responding and I see lots of timeouts. By the way, in the zwave device list all the nodes still have a green check and aren't reported dead.
Yes I restarted Domoticz multiple times by either restarting the service or rebooting the host.

I find the timeouts not to disturbing (or in other words, I can live with them) as long as the system is working as it did before.

What puzzles me is that it used to work fine with the G2 stick but after changing to the G5 and changing back, it suddenly doesn't. It's a long shot but there are others who report sometimes there seems to be issues with the amount of power an USB port can deliver. I'll see if I can eliminate that by using a powered USB HUB. But in the end, I don't think that would solve this problem (still worth a shot).

Do you happen to know if there are some settings to tweak (I tried also to change the timeout value in the config.xml but that doesn't help with this particular issue)?