Can't get Secure SCS317 working with Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 Topic is solved

For Z-Wave related questions in Domoticz
jefft
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: Stable

Can't get Secure SCS317 working with Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5

Post by jefft » Friday 14 September 2018 18:52

Hi All,

I'm having real problems with getting my Secure SCS317 (aka Horstmann SCSC7) thermostat into the z-wave network properly.

It's a real pain to include, works about one time in five and has to be done with the z-stick off the PC, has never succeeded via domoticz or ozwcp. Once it is included, the SCS317 shows a network connection and I can associate it (using its UI) with the boiler control relay. However, it shows up in the OZW device list as an unnamed device - image below - and whatever I try, I just can't get ozw to pull any info from it. Mfr & Dev IDs remain stubbornly 0x0000.
scs317.JPG
scs317.JPG (62.06 KiB) Viewed 254 times
The two devices are about 6ft apart. To get the SCS317 included, I held the z-stick between my fingertips, about 20cm from the device - and even then it was fourth time lucky!

It seems to include more easily on a z-stick S2 than on the newer Gen5 stick - and ozwcp does recognise it when it's using the S2. I wonder whether there's a problem with this device and the Gen5. Has anyone got this combination working and can help?
Secure's support are pointing to the z-stick, not unreasonably (the SCS worked with Vera ok too); Aeotec have yet to reply to my email :(

I've also removed the SCS317 from the ozwcfg xml file and let the system find it again, but that makes no difference; that suggests to me that the problem is more likely between the z-stick and the SCS317. I've tried asking ozw / domo to heal the device while having it in 'listen' mode (stay-awake), removing and re-including, sending NIFs, everything I can think of. Nothing shows up in domoticz.log for the device ID when I have the SCS317 send a NIF, which is strange, yet the thing is clearly in the z-wave network as it can associate with other nodes on the network (the boiler relay, which you can see in the screenshot is already part of the z-stick's network). After a while, OZW will decide to deem it a dead device.

Does anyone have any suggestions / ideas what the problem might be or what I can try to diagnose it?

Thanks!

Jeff

jefft

Re: Can't get Secure SCS317 working with Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5

Post by jefft » Friday 14 September 2018 19:24

Update... looking at the zwcfg xml file, after my latest efforts there are now some command classes for a thermostat under that device but it still has 0 in the mfr id and device type fields. Slightly randomly, just one switch device has come through into the domoticz UI from it. Very odd.

ben53252642
Domoticz version: Beta

Post by ben53252642 » Friday 14 September 2018 19:27

Search Google, eg:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... MqU1H2W5fc

Question is does it work with OpenZWave (which Domoticz uses).

jefft

Post by jefft » Friday 14 September 2018 19:37

Yes, it does. It's aka the Horstmann SCSC-17, which is supported and is what OZWCP detected it as via the older z-stick.

jefft

Post by jefft » Friday 14 September 2018 19:58

Thought it was worth trying to force the device detection by editing the zwcfg...xml, so I put in the device info (mfr 59, device 0004:0001) and restarted domoticz.
Success! :-) After a fashion and a bit of sending NIFs, the offender now shows up as a Horstmann SCSC-17 and I have a setpoint, a current temperature and a switch. Hallelujah!