Best z-wave controller for pi3

For Z-Wave related questions in Domoticz
stuiow
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: 3.5769

Best z-wave controller for pi3

Postby stuiow » Thursday 12 January 2017 12:07

Hi all,
Currently running a PI2 with razberry but my z-wave network is very "flaky" at the moment, so i'm going to uninclude all nodes and start from scratch.

What z-wave controller do people recommend? The Razberry2 or the Aeon z-wave stick s2?

Another option was for me to put Domoticz as a virtual system on my Qnap 453pro, but i'm thinking having it on its own hardware would be an advantage (resource wise).

Cheers
Stu
Currently setup on a RPI2.
Also using Evohome HGI80, RFXTRX433E and a raZpberry GPIO. Mainly a Z-Wave system.
My weather (Davis vantage Pro2) data is obtained by weatherunderground

jannl
Domoticz version: Stable

Re: Best z-wave controller for pi3

Postby jannl » Thursday 12 January 2017 13:01

The USB-stick can be used on different hardware. And what I see in the wiki, configuring/adding a razbeery seems a lot more work compared to a usb zwave stick like the Aeon

tontze
Domoticz version:

Postby tontze » Thursday 12 January 2017 16:33

Actually, getting razperry to work with domoticz, is just adding one line that links ports .. Not that hard to do. Guide on the link.

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/appl ... HeULVOLTmF
-----------------------------------------
Rpi 3 / Razberry 2
RFLink 433mhz

mlamie
Domoticz version: 3.5877

Postby mlamie » Thursday 12 January 2017 16:58

tontze wrote:Actually, getting razperry to work with domoticz, is just adding one line that links ports .. Not that hard to do. Guide on the link.

The guide where you are refering to is not gona work in combination with a Raspberry Pi 3. It took me quite some time to find out that the Bluetooth needs to be disabled on the RP3.

I migrated from a Raspberry Pi1 to a Raspberry Pi3 including the Razberry board (the first version - non z-wave + version) and it is running without issues. Check the instructions how to install a Razberry board on a RP3 here: https://mysmarthomeathome.blogspot.nl/2 ... -pi-3.html (no exclusions or inclusions where needed, only a Domoticz DB restore and you are done).

The topic on Domoticz: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10964&start=40

P.s. the latest Jesse lite image does not have SSH enabled by default you need to enable it first.
Gateway: Raspberry Pi 3, RaZberry, RFXtrx433
Parts: Vision ZD 2102, Vision ZM 1601, Greenwave Smart plug 6, KlikAanKlikUit ACDB-7000BC, APIR-2150, AWMR-230, ESP8266 NodeMCU and a Essent E-thermostaat
IP camera: Dahua 4MP IPC-HDBW4421R-AS, Vivotek FD8134V

lost
Domoticz version:

Postby lost » Friday 13 January 2017 10:08

stuiow wrote:What z-wave controller do people recommend? The Razberry2 or the Aeon z-wave stick s2?

I have the z-stick s2 on a PI3, this was a no brainer... Being able to include peripherals key unplugged (includes a battery) also proves useful, except using some chinese neo coolcam products that does not include properly this way (you'll get IDs at 0, but as it's battery powered devices that are concerned you can bring them close to z-stick+PI & include from domoticz, only way to get a full inclusion on these ones).

As well, on the device side it's seen as a ttyUSB. So no specific kernel driver (a source of hassle) needs in Linux, it's seen as a serial to usb adapter already managed in standard, to drive it from open zwave library.

You'll only have to make allocated /dev/ttyUSBn with n=fixed nb (see wiki). Otherwise, when unplugging to include, at replug you'll not get the same device path (n will become n+1) & it'll not be seen by domoticz configured using previous dev path.

The only issue I experienced was a default configuration one in domoticz combined with my z-wave network use at the beginning: I only had modules driving heaters, on schedule (no modules reporting statuses/temperatures on their own & quite frequently), leading to z-wave unused for up to several hours.

Domoticz have a timeout on the controller device that cause problems when such conditions are met: 60s with no traffic = domoticz soft-resets the z-stick, probably thinking it's firmware is hanged. So the z-stick have to restart, rebuild it's z-wave mesh network topology, re-read devices parameters: This was about 30s with z-wave network rebuild every 60s, so unable to send command.

And when a scheduled setup was sent, there was about 50% chance for a fail... So take care of this setup.

After setting this timeout to several hours (more than the max delay between 2 schedules), that's rock solid. I started using domoticz 3 month ago, since last update I'm about a month of uptime.

bbqkees
Domoticz version: 3.5x

Postby bbqkees » Friday 13 January 2017 10:36

Don't buy the old S2, buy the Gen 5 stick.
RPi 2, Philips Hue GU10 / E27 / LivingWhites, Aeon Zwave stick V2, Qubino, Fibaro, Everspring, Philio, RFXCom, X10, Harmony Hub,
P1 / Resol VBus / Nefit EMS bus / DHT21 / DS18B20 / relays / I2C display via Arduino/ESP8266, Xiaomi Flora, BS440.

stuiow

Postby stuiow » Friday 13 January 2017 13:11

Right, Aeon Gen5 stick it is to be then.

I dont need access to the stick to include i presume? I can still do that via Domoticz?
Also using Evohome HGI80, RFXTRX433E and a raZpberry GPIO. Mainly a Z-Wave system.

Eraser
Target OS: Windows
Domoticz version: 3.5877

Postby Eraser » Friday 13 January 2017 13:15

You do need access to the stick. The stick has a button for close range inclusion which I think works best.

stuiow

Postby stuiow » Friday 13 January 2017 13:17

And that type of inclusion requires pushing the buttons on the stick?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

tontze
Domoticz version:

Postby tontze » Sunday 15 January 2017 20:07

mlamie wrote:
tontze wrote:Actually, getting razperry to work with domoticz, is just adding one line that links ports .. Not that hard to do. Guide on the link.

The guide where you are refering to is not gona work in combination with a Raspberry Pi 3. It took me quite some time to find out that the Bluetooth needs to be disabled on the RP3.

I migrated from a Raspberry Pi1 to a Raspberry Pi3 including the Razberry board (the first version - non z-wave + version) and it is running without issues. Check the instructions how to install a Razberry board on a RP3 here: https://mysmarthomeathome.blogspot.nl/2 ... -pi-3.html (no exclusions or inclusions where needed, only a Domoticz DB restore and you are done).

The topic on Domoticz: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10964&start=40

P.s. the latest Jesse lite image does not have SSH enabled by default you need to enable it first.

Well, as noob as i am, i just bought my first setup ever, Pi3 and razperry2. With that vesternet guide, i made it a live at first try. Bluetooth is disabled by default i believe. And later fiddling, i learned that you dont need to do that symlink anymore, domoticz has proper port directly for razberry these days :)

But its true if you need bluetooth, then razberry is not for you :)
-----------------------------------------
Rpi 3 / Razberry 2
RFLink 433mhz

Justintime
Domoticz version: Beta

Postby Justintime » Monday 16 January 2017 1:34

I use the zwave.me USB stick. Never let me down.

Return to “Z-Wave”