cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Others (MiLight, Hue, Toon etc...)
Post Reply
Dirk
Posts: 46
Joined: Wednesday 04 November 2015 21:59
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by Dirk » Wednesday 30 August 2017 19:24

I want to have Domoticz make a readout of my Smart Meter (Dutch, Stedin). On Dutch shops I find cables starting from 20 euro's. On AliExpress I found this cable for 6 euros (including shipping): https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/ftdi-ft2 ... 4.8.vkFUnV

But the amount of technical info (in hard-to-understand English) overwhelmes me. Is this the same cable and will it work to connect my slimme meter to my Domoticz? (Otherwise: suggestions for cheaper alternatives welcome; I already found a DIY post but that is not feasible for me).

migwelly
Posts: 54
Joined: Friday 03 July 2015 22:55
Target OS: -
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by migwelly » Sunday 03 September 2017 20:37

Dirk wrote:I want to have Domoticz make a readout of my Smart Meter (Dutch, Stedin). On Dutch shops I find cables starting from 20 euro's. On AliExpress I found this cable for 6 euros (including shipping): https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/ftdi-ft2 ... 4.8.vkFUnV

But the amount of technical info (in hard-to-understand English) overwhelmes me. Is this the same cable and will it work to connect my slimme meter to my Domoticz? (Otherwise: suggestions for cheaper alternatives welcome; I already found a DIY post but that is not feasible for me).
Hi,

This cable Might work.

For some meters, you need to do a modification by soldering a pull - up resistor.
It also depends how they crimp the wires in the RJ 11 connecter.
You only need 3 wires.
5 v
Ground
Rxd

And sometimes the chip needs to be programmed if it is not done by the supplier.

Best,

Migwelly

Dirk
Posts: 46
Joined: Wednesday 04 November 2015 21:59
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by Dirk » Tuesday 05 September 2017 9:44

Ah, OK. Well 'might work' is not good enough for me I'm afraid. Since I'm a newby and have the time nor experience to do modifications myself, I think I'll either wait for a recommendation of somebody that has tried or just spend the 20 euro's. Thanks a lot for you response!

JimmyH1969
Posts: 99
Joined: Tuesday 28 June 2016 16:38
Target OS: Windows
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: Amersfoort NL
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by JimmyH1969 » Tuesday 05 September 2017 14:02

Have you ever thought of a WiFi solution? I have a small Wifi ESP8266 adapter connected to my Stedin smart meter and connected it to Wifi.
In Domoticz you can add a "P1 smart meter with Lan interface" and connect it to the P1 Wifi module. Works great overhere.

Not sure if i'm allowed to do this, but it's not as spam intended:
http://www.esp8266thingies.nl/wp/

migwelly
Posts: 54
Joined: Friday 03 July 2015 22:55
Target OS: -
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by migwelly » Thursday 14 September 2017 12:58

Dirk wrote:Ah, OK. Well 'might work' is not good enough for me I'm afraid. Since I'm a newby and have the time nor experience to do modifications myself, I think I'll either wait for a recommendation of somebody that has tried or just spend the 20 euro's. Thanks a lot for you response!
Which meter do you have?

Dirk
Posts: 46
Joined: Wednesday 04 November 2015 21:59
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by Dirk » Thursday 14 September 2017 21:39

@migwelly I have an iskra am550, provided by Stedin.

joost81
Posts: 13
Joined: Wednesday 22 July 2015 12:39
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by joost81 » Friday 15 September 2017 10:40

I've bought a cheap cable from ebay. For most smart meters you need to invert the RxD signal in the FTDI chip.
Most of the China copies are read only, you cannot reprogram them.
So in the end I bought a cable of €20 which is already programmed and has the right RJ11 connector on it. Works out of the box.

Dirk
Posts: 46
Joined: Wednesday 04 November 2015 21:59
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by Dirk » Saturday 16 September 2017 13:33

Yeah thanks @joost81. I figured as much: either fiddling to make it work or spend the 20 euro's on a ready-to-go solution. I was hoping to find some kind of deal, like those 6-euro thermometers...

migwelly
Posts: 54
Joined: Friday 03 July 2015 22:55
Target OS: -
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by migwelly » Monday 18 September 2017 21:28

Dirk wrote:@migwelly I have an iskra am550, provided by Stedin.
Yes, it will work.
You need to do some modification.

You need to solder a 10K resistor (Pull-up resistor ) between 5 V and RXD
You also need to invert the signals of the FTDI chip.
You need to use FT-Prog for that.

If you need help with that, just sent me a private message.

Dirk
Posts: 46
Joined: Wednesday 04 November 2015 21:59
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by Dirk » Monday 18 September 2017 21:46

Thanks for your offer, but since I've never soldered before, I have neither the experience or equipment to do that.
I'm currently too busy to dive into that, so I'll either wait a bit (until I stumble upon a cheaper cable) or pay the full retail price.

pvm
Posts: 949
Joined: Tuesday 17 June 2014 22:14
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version: Stable
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by pvm » Monday 18 September 2017 22:03

migwelly wrote:
Dirk wrote:@migwelly I have an iskra am550, provided by Stedin.
Yes, it will work.
You need to do some modification.

You need to solder a 10K resistor (Pull-up resistor ) between 5 V and RXD
You also need to invert the signals of the FTDI chip.
You need to use FT-Prog for that.

If you need help with that, just sent me a private message.
Is it also possible to convert a ready made cable to work with the latest iskra?
My cable works on a 10 yr old meter but not on the new one
Synology NAS, PI3, ZWave, Xiamo zigbee devices, BTLE plant sensor

migwelly
Posts: 54
Joined: Friday 03 July 2015 22:55
Target OS: -
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by migwelly » Saturday 23 September 2017 11:10

pvm wrote:
migwelly wrote:
Dirk wrote:@migwelly I have an iskra am550, provided by Stedin.
Yes, it will work.
You need to do some modification.

You need to solder a 10K resistor (Pull-up resistor ) between 5 V and RXD
You also need to invert the signals of the FTDI chip.
You need to use FT-Prog for that.

If you need help with that, just sent me a private message.
Is it also possible to convert a ready made cable to work with the latest iskra?
My cable works on a 10 yr old meter but not on the new one
Hi,

What cable do you have?
And what chip is inside? Like ( FTDI,... Etc)

Best,

Migwelly

pvm
Posts: 949
Joined: Tuesday 17 June 2014 22:14
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version: Stable
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by pvm » Saturday 23 September 2017 14:18

How can I see that?
It is not possible to open the connector and check the chip
Synology NAS, PI3, ZWave, Xiamo zigbee devices, BTLE plant sensor

Draakje
Posts: 107
Joined: Thursday 22 October 2015 21:14
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: 3.5468
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by Draakje » Monday 27 November 2017 21:19

I would like to chip in this conversation as my meter has just been replaced by the ISKRA MA550 (And metering does not work.

I believe I have the FTDI chip (Profolic cable)

Could you make something like a schematic ?
(I can handle a soldering device :P)
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3, OTGW, 433MHz Superheterodyne 3310 RF Link
Software: Ubuntu 16.04, Domoticz v3.5468, WiringPi, rc-switch

EnderWolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Sunday 13 May 2018 0:48
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by EnderWolf » Sunday 13 May 2018 0:56

Hi,

I got a ISKRA AM550 meter a little while ago and I bought a Serial converter with a FTDI chip embedded into the pcb, however I am not seeing any data. The manufacturer of the cable has put a 10k resistor between RXD and RTS.

Should I move the Resistor to be between RXD and +5v?

Kind regards,

EnderWolf

Edit: Found the problem, the RTS and RXD cables were incorrectly mapped, after swapping those back the cable is working.

jeroennus
Posts: 2
Joined: Monday 28 May 2018 20:15
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by jeroennus » Monday 28 May 2018 20:21

I bought a cable via Aliexpress and didn't work right away. I placed a resistor between 5v and RXD and it solved everything... So seems to me that it needs to be attached between the 5v and the RXD.

asg
Posts: 9
Joined: Wednesday 02 April 2014 11:17
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by asg » Friday 06 July 2018 15:38

EnderWolf wrote:
Sunday 13 May 2018 0:56
Hi,

I got a ISKRA AM550 meter a little while ago and I bought a Serial converter with a FTDI chip embedded into the pcb, however I am not seeing any data. The manufacturer of the cable has put a 10k resistor between RXD and RTS.

Should I move the Resistor to be between RXD and +5v?

Kind regards,

EnderWolf

Edit: Found the problem, the RTS and RXD cables were incorrectly mapped, after swapping those back the cable is working.
Can you post a picture of the connections to the pcb? I think I've a similar cable, but it lacks a 10k resistor. So I hope I can mod this cable also to be able to read my ISKRA AM550. I've a picture of my cable:
Image
I think I've to move the green cable from CTS to RTS and the white/grey one from RXD. I'm also unsure about the 10k resistor: place it between +5V and RXD or between RXD and RTS.

jake
Posts: 444
Joined: Saturday 30 May 2015 22:40
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: beta
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by jake » Friday 06 July 2018 22:39

I have the smart meter connected through the gpio of the rpi. That is about free, besides 1 resistor. My colleague built it for me into a little network cable extension block (female-female), so I was able to use 2 regular telephone cables and easy disconnect the gpio to take the rpi out of the cabinet

terrorsource
Posts: 54
Joined: Wednesday 10 May 2017 17:57
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: cheap(er) p1-to-USB cable for smart meter (looking for a ...)

Post by terrorsource » Monday 16 July 2018 12:33

You can always buy them for 10euro's on Tweakers or Marktplaats from a dutch seller ;)
Got my Kaifa Ma105a cable from him and works great!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests