Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Compatibility (hardware, devices and OS)
Post Reply
randytsuch
Posts: 86
Joined: Sunday 20 March 2016 19:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: LA, Ca USA
Contact:

Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by randytsuch » Monday 10 April 2017 20:34

Broke my thermostat yesterday :(

But give me an excuse to upgrade to something that can be controlled by Domoticz.

I have Zwave, but it doesn't have to be a zwave, wifi would also be fine.

Wondering if any can suggest a thermostat that is relatively inexpensive and works with Domo, and can be bought in the US.

I have tried searching here, but maybe I missed it. Most seem to be European. I also just saw a thread where there is a problem with the CT100, which otherwise would be a possibility.

Thanks
Randy

randytsuch
Posts: 86
Joined: Sunday 20 March 2016 19:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: LA, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by randytsuch » Wednesday 12 April 2017 17:04

Anyone?
I was thinking about a CT101?

Or the Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U?

Or maybe a RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat?

Randy

Toulon7559
Posts: 402
Joined: Sunday 23 February 2014 18:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: latest
Location: Hengelo(Ov)/NL
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by Toulon7559 » Wednesday 12 April 2017 17:37

Not sure whether it answers your question, but googling I found http://www.nexiahome.com/compatible-products
Set1 = RPI-B+RFXCom433+S0PCM+Linksprite-shield for BMP180/DS18B20/RS485+DDS238ZN1
Set2 = RPI-3+RFLinkGTW+ESP8266s+PWS_WS7000
Common = 2*PVLogger+PWS_TFA_Nexus+KAKUs
=> Energy & Data Management based on Time and on PV&Consumption&Meteo

albamatti
Posts: 14
Joined: Sunday 17 January 2016 22:47
Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by albamatti » Wednesday 12 April 2017 18:28

I like ThermoSmart. API included. Even voice-controlled ;-)


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

randytsuch
Posts: 86
Joined: Sunday 20 March 2016 19:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: LA, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by randytsuch » Wednesday 12 April 2017 20:21

Nexia looks like a Domiticz alternative to me, but I could be wrong?

Thermosmart has European or UK plugs only, I think its for Europeans not for US.

But thanks for trying

Randy

skybehind
Posts: 19
Joined: Monday 04 April 2016 22:00
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by skybehind » Thursday 13 April 2017 5:50

I have a CT100 thermostat and it works very well. To go cheaper though, there's the CT30, right now it's like $35 on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/2GIG-CT-30-Rad ... thermostat

randytsuch
Posts: 86
Joined: Sunday 20 March 2016 19:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: LA, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by randytsuch » Thursday 13 April 2017 17:11

skybehind wrote:I have a CT100 thermostat and it works very well. To go cheaper though, there's the CT30, right now it's like $35 on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/2GIG-CT-30-Rad ... thermostat
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm still looking around, will update this thread depending on what I do.

skybehind
Posts: 19
Joined: Monday 04 April 2016 22:00
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by skybehind » Thursday 13 April 2017 19:03

randytsuch wrote:
skybehind wrote:I have a CT100 thermostat and it works very well. To go cheaper though, there's the CT30, right now it's like $35 on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/2GIG-CT-30-Rad ... thermostat
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm still looking around, will update this thread depending on what I do.

I was on my phone before so didn't write much. Ideally what I'd like is a thermostat that is nothing but a small box, no display or buttons, then mount a tablet on the wall to control it. But I digress; if you are using Domoticz, you don't really need the thermostat to be smart, the brains are all in the controller (Domoticz). Something I never got about having multiple zones and something like the Nest is you have two "brains", where you really only need one brain and then sensors and relays that can communicate with it.

The CT100 is pretty much a regular thermostat that can be controlled via Z Wave. So you can do whatever you want as far as smarts go, the thermostat just does what the controller tells it. I looked at the CT30 after I bought my two CT100s because I was thinking about putting some smart stuff in my mom's house. Apparently they are thicker and the Z Wave may not reach as far, but for $35 I'd sure take it over the CT100 as long as it works... and especially if you have multiple zones.

Anyway, specifically to the CT100, the touch screen isn't that sensitive, not like we're used to with smart phones. Also the "fan on/auto" button is pretty close to the temp control, so sometimes I accidently switch the temp from Auto to On. That's about my biggest complaint.

randytsuch
Posts: 86
Joined: Sunday 20 March 2016 19:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: LA, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by randytsuch » Thursday 13 April 2017 20:00

skybehind wrote: I was on my phone before so didn't write much. Ideally what I'd like is a thermostat that is nothing but a small box, no display or buttons, then mount a tablet on the wall to control it. But I digress; if you are using Domoticz, you don't really need the thermostat to be smart, the brains are all in the controller (Domoticz). Something I never got about having multiple zones and something like the Nest is you have two "brains", where you really only need one brain and then sensors and relays that can communicate with it.

The CT100 is pretty much a regular thermostat that can be controlled via Z Wave. So you can do whatever you want as far as smarts go, the thermostat just does what the controller tells it. I looked at the CT30 after I bought my two CT100s because I was thinking about putting some smart stuff in my mom's house. Apparently they are thicker and the Z Wave may not reach as far, but for $35 I'd sure take it over the CT100 as long as it works... and especially if you have multiple zones.

Anyway, specifically to the CT100, the touch screen isn't that sensitive, not like we're used to with smart phones. Also the "fan on/auto" button is pretty close to the temp control, so sometimes I accidently switch the temp from Auto to On. That's about my biggest complaint.
My Mother in law lives with us, and I want her to be able to turn heater or AC on and off when she's home by herself, so I need a user interface, preferably a simple one.

We actually have separate HVAC systems for upstairs and downstairs, the house was like that when we bought it. This the downstairs thermostat, but upstairs is the one I really need some automation on. Want to turn on AC on in summer before we get home, and make sure it is turned off in the morning when we leave. Sometimes we forget to turn it off in the morning.

Randy

skybehind
Posts: 19
Joined: Monday 04 April 2016 22:00
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by skybehind » Thursday 13 April 2017 20:14

randytsuch wrote:
skybehind wrote: I was on my phone before so didn't write much. Ideally what I'd like is a thermostat that is nothing but a small box, no display or buttons, then mount a tablet on the wall to control it. But I digress; if you are using Domoticz, you don't really need the thermostat to be smart, the brains are all in the controller (Domoticz). Something I never got about having multiple zones and something like the Nest is you have two "brains", where you really only need one brain and then sensors and relays that can communicate with it.

The CT100 is pretty much a regular thermostat that can be controlled via Z Wave. So you can do whatever you want as far as smarts go, the thermostat just does what the controller tells it. I looked at the CT30 after I bought my two CT100s because I was thinking about putting some smart stuff in my mom's house. Apparently they are thicker and the Z Wave may not reach as far, but for $35 I'd sure take it over the CT100 as long as it works... and especially if you have multiple zones.

Anyway, specifically to the CT100, the touch screen isn't that sensitive, not like we're used to with smart phones. Also the "fan on/auto" button is pretty close to the temp control, so sometimes I accidently switch the temp from Auto to On. That's about my biggest complaint.
My Mother in law lives with us, and I want her to be able to turn heater or AC on and off when she's home by herself, so I need a user interface, preferably a simple one.

We actually have separate HVAC systems for upstairs and downstairs, the house was like that when we bought it. This the downstairs thermostat, but upstairs is the one I really need some automation on. Want to turn on AC on in summer before we get home, and make sure it is turned off in the morning when we leave. Sometimes we forget to turn it off in the morning.

Randy
That's pretty much what I do. I have an upstairs and downstairs, CT100 for both. I have schedules programmed (for example set AC 74 every morning).

For voice control I also have an Amazon Echo, so I can say "Alexa set upstairs head to..." or "set downstairs air conditioning to..." to change temp. I can also say "turn on upstairs heat" or "turn on upstairs air conditioner" to change whether the setting is AC or Heat.

For the app, I use Domoticz webpage (though I also have the Domoticz app for Android), but save to my phone's desktop, which makes it like an app. I eventually want to put a tablet on the wall and use that. When I mount a tablet, I'll make a custom HTML frontpage so it's laid out how I want it.

You can get into programming automation based on outside weather conditions and motion sensors, but I haven't gotten there yet. I work at home and my wife is a Nurse who works Fri, Sat, Sun, so we're mostly home; don't really have as much of a need to motion sensing.

Lastly I can access my Domoticz from anywhere, so if I forgot to set a temp or something, I could change it remotely.

randytsuch
Posts: 86
Joined: Sunday 20 March 2016 19:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: LA, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by randytsuch » Thursday 13 April 2017 22:22

Cool, that sounds like it will do what I want.

Can you control the CT100 from the touch screen with zwave enabled?
I saw some comments on the CT30 that look like if zwave is on you can't use the touch screen.

Randy

skybehind
Posts: 19
Joined: Monday 04 April 2016 22:00
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by skybehind » Sunday 16 April 2017 21:22

randytsuch wrote:Cool, that sounds like it will do what I want.

Can you control the CT100 from the touch screen with zwave enabled?
I saw some comments on the CT30 that look like if zwave is on you can't use the touch screen.

Randy
I can only speak to the CT100, but yes you can control it via the touchscreen or Z Wave. It's like a regular thermostat but can also be changed remotely (via Z Wave).

randytsuch
Posts: 86
Joined: Sunday 20 March 2016 19:56
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version: Beta
Location: LA, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by randytsuch » Monday 14 August 2017 17:01

I know this is way late, but this project got set aside for a "bit".

I recently bought, and installed a Trane tz45 wifi thermostat.
This is basically a RCS tz45, and there is also a newer tz45a model.
The trane has a few more features in the software, but they are all basically the same I think.
You can find both the trans and RCS's for reasonable prices on ebay, they are older models.

At first it didn't work, I had to add a connection to AC common, the blue wire that is often missing in older thermostats. Luckily the wire bundle had 5 wires, but was only using 4. So the blue wire was there, and I just had to connect it to the right place on the heater. It was well marked on the heater, so wasn't too hard to figure out.

I moved my pi/zwave stick by the thermostat last night, and added the thermostat to zwave network. In a few minutes, the thermostat's parameters showed up in domoticz, and I was able to set the temp and mode to turn on the thermostat in domoticz.

The only problem I have now is I can't seem to change the mode from my iphone or android phone, with the apps I have.
I'll probably add a script, to turn on the thermostat based on the state of a user variable, I can set user variables from my phones.

Randy

skybehind
Posts: 19
Joined: Monday 04 April 2016 22:00
Target OS: Raspberry Pi
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Thermostat suggestions (in US)?

Post by skybehind » Saturday 02 September 2017 19:02

Is there a device available in the device list for thermostat mode?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests